No blessings because the holy spirit is preventing............

by asilentone 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• asilentone
    asilentone

Can you help me find an WT or AW article that talks about when a certain congregation that does not receive blessings like a new congregation, etc...because the holy spirit is preventing that from happening? Thanks!

• moshe
    moshe

I heard that warning way back in the 70's! It was often used to scare the JWs into confessing a secret sin (for some reason Jehoobah couldn't expose it himself) or better yet, ratting out a fellow JW or even a Spouse! You got some real bonus points for turning in a spouse, child or parent to the elders.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hi asilentone,

You mean to tell me that the WT actually printed that in a magazine ?

I thought the Organization as a whole was directed by Holy Spirit. ( God's spirit directed Organization.)

If someone finds this I sure would love to see it.

• asilentone
    asilentone

wasblind, I am not sure, but I have been wondering recently.

• Scully
    Scully

That was based on the biblical story of Achan, who retained some of the spoils from the fall of Jericho. Jehovah was angry that Achan disobeyed the decree that all the spoils from Jericho were to be devoted to destruction, and when Israel went into battle after that, against Ai, they were defeated.

When Joshua cried out to God over being defeated, the response was that all of Israel had sinned in taking the 'thing devoted to destruction' - and the result would be that the entire nation would have no success in battle until the offender(s) were discovered and executed. Some scholars believe that Achan's entire family was executed, and his cattle and other livestock were devoted to destruction as well.

Joshua 7:1-26

• factfinder
    factfinder

Thank you Scully!

I was told and believed that. In 1978 a congregation I was in had 160 publishers. There was much wrongdoing on the part of certain elders several years later and around 10 or so years later Sunday meeting attendence had dropped down to around 32 or so! The congregation was deleted not long after and I felt vindicated! I believed Jehovah withdrew his spirit from that cong because of the wrongdoing by the elders.

• Scully
    Scully

Hi Factfinder

I'm surprised that it took 10 years for Jehovah's disapproval to finally correct matters. In the biblical story, it seems to have taken like a week to weed out the traitor(s) and deal with them "appropriately".

I alluded to the same kind of thing in an anonymous letter I wrote to the Elders in a former congregation. Found an Old Letter

Makes you wonder why the holy spirit is not so swift to act anymore, doesn't it? Maybe it's because it was never there in the first place.

• wasblind
    wasblind

To Scully

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I hope someone comes up with the answer to this question. I have heard the same thing many times but not actually read it, I don't think. That doesn't mean it's not out there. I've never "properly" kept up my required reading.

• Scully
    Scully

They presented it in the form of a District Convention™ drama whose theme was along the line of "harbouring secret faults".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit