Eidetic/Photographic Memory: your "view," please

by compound complex 39 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Leolaia and Lee for interesting info and a beautiful story of gifts in "men"!

Farkel: go to your room!

CC

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

This is the only experience I can think of that relates to this subject

When I was four and couldn't yet read, we lived in a house that had the name of the original owner and the house number written in the concrete walkway in front of the house.

When I was a teen, my parents were talking about this house as it was first one they bought in this country. Much to their suprise, I happened to mention the name of the original owners and the house number. They couldn't understand how I could know this since I was so little when we lived there. I explained to them that for some reason, I have "photograph" in my head of this sidewalk to this day and I can simply read the name and number off that photograph at will .

• KW13
    KW13

Before depression and anxiety really took hold i was able to memorize things easily and everything i saw, i could recall in my mind (and still can sometimes to be honest) where people were stood, their expression, where things were in the room and so on and see it as one would a photograph.

Weirdly, i can also see in my mind like a 'tour' my way around a home after i visited if i happen to pay more than passing attention. Although its much more vague than it used to be. Prior to my anxiety took hold, i could almost accurately remember the placing of objects such as a used cup, a vase, the remote control, where there was a blemish on the wall and so on and see that in my mind (blemishes on the wall would have to be after a few visits). I think sometimes my head 'filled the rest in' with generic stuff to make the image seem complete so it wasn't 100% accurate.

Smells, Songs and so on used to trigger memories or even just feelings that i could relate to when i first heard that song. An intense form of nostalgia.

As 'useful' as all this seemed, it took its toll on me i think. My mind was working in overdrive most times while i tried to make sense of all i had took in.

Another strange thing, when remembering spellings of words i could see them in my head..

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, exwhyzee and KW13:

Remarkable experiences. I can identify with what you have stated more than to what is termed eidetic. Isolated but significant data recalled.

I appreciate your taking time to relate what has occurred in your little corner of the world!

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird
    snowbird...Whoa you sound like a synesthete to, or a cousin. Do they have colors too?
    Letters "I" and "S" are cold, "V" is evil. My favorite number is 2 because it is such a beautiful shade of green. I also like seeing 2 with 8 (Christmas colors!).

Wow! Look what I missed over the weekend!

Yes, Leolaia, when I think of numbers, I see colors!

Thanks for the new term - synesthete.

Karl, I know well the toll anxiety and depression can take on anybody.

CoCo, this is so interesting. What gifts we all possess.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

Bizzy!

That is an awesome story!

Syl

• BizzyBee
  • Scully
    Scully

Although I have a pretty good memory, I wouldn't call it "photographic" or eidetic.

There has to be some significance to the memory in question, then I'll make a mental note of its placement on a page (top right hand corner on the left hand page, for example). If it is in regard to an event, I'll make a mental note of the time frame surrounding the event (it was on a particularly warm Indian Summer day, or after the first snow storm).

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Syl and Bee, for the latest. Goodness! You mean there's more? !!!!!!

I don't know how to research it; it may have to do with the so-called music of the spheres.

Each key [in music] was said to possess certain aesthetic qualities. On the piano there are keys/scales that, to me, are more sonorous, more elegant. I believe that in the 19th century the key of B-flat was a fave. Tchaikovsky's famous Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor - over whose correct interpretation we all have a messianic complex - was supposedly written in the very special key of B-flat minor (this is what I recall reading ... shoot my recollection out of the water if you wish).

CoCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmPwz6NpljY

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Scully!

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit