JW's are not nice people

by Nickolas 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I cut and pasted the subject line from a comment made by one of this board's longtime members. It got me wondering if this is the prevalent thinking in here. For a very long time I believed that JW's and all fundamentalist Christian folk are a cut above the norm. I would hire them to do jobs for me because I thought I would get honest treatment. I don't believe that now. Some of my dealings with Jehovah's Witnesses have been disappointing. Then again, some of my dealings with non-Witnesses have been disappointing, too. My experience has been that people who generally follow the golden rule, regardless of their religious beliefs or lack of religious beliefs, are generally good people to deal with. I don't think Jehovah's Witnesses are any better than anyone else, but I don't think they're any worse, either. Do I have blinders on?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/201099/1/New-here

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

Well lets see attend Kingdom Hall for 28 years associate with very dear friends who would give you the shirt off your back...Leave WTS and they treat you as if you were dead...

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If you can interface with the AUTHENTIC personality of the JW, they're no better/worse than anyone else. However, if it's the CULT personality that you must contend with, then it can often be very unpleasant.

Overwhelmingly, the ex-JW community is made up of people who were abused/victimized (to one extent or another) by the Watchtower Society. As such, why should anyone expect us to have warm, fuzzy feelings about Jehovah's Witnesses?

• Institutionalized, mandatory shunning
    • Policies that inadequatly protect children from sexual abuse
    • Misogyny
    • Forbidding of modern, lifesaving blood treatment
  • Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They're not necessarily "worse" people than others but they are likely to treat "worldly" people worse because of the way they view you. As a non-JW you are classified thusly:

When you are a potential convert - you will be humored and they will be on their best behavior toward you; they act like "nice" people at this point.

When it starts becoming obvious that you won't be converted or that conversion is going to take more effort than they're willing to put out - you will be treated as a stubborn and disrespectful child; they now look down on you as a lost cause.

When they think you are an outright opposer - you are hated and since you are already condemned by God you are treated as if you are already dead.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies
    I don't think Jehovah's Witnesses are any better than anyone else, but I don't think they're any worse, either.

I agree, however ... when I have had JWs hire me to do work, this is when they shine as total assholes (not all of course) they think because we are spiritual brothers/friends they don't need to pay or pay less or treat me as a slave. I now, never accept work from JWs anymore, I've been burnt too many times. Have lost thousand$ and that's not exaggerating.

But most will work quite well for a 'worldy' boss I believe.

3Mozzies

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I'm not getting any of those vibes. I have made no bones about what I believe and about being off limits to prostheltytizing and the WT folks I come into contact with who are either associates of my wife or her family just don't go there with me, yet they treat me with respect. If they did not, I would call them on it. That said, I would find it more amusing than aggravating that some of the people I have met from the Kingdom Hall would look down on me. It might even make me laugh out loud. Then again, I haven't seen it.

• Evidently Apostate
    Evidently Apostate

same here mozzie,i will never work for one of them again. they use the illusion that because they follow a stricter course they are more honest, dilligent, etc. but it is a load of crap.

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

Perhaps if your entire family were JW's and you were df'd or da'd and they treated you as dead you would get the "vibes"...

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I trust vibes, which I equate to body language, tone of voice, facial expressions, things I can see and hear when communicating with people. The DF thing disturbs me greatly. My nephew, a fine young man in all respects, was DFed a year or so ago and is now shunned. I'm not seeing stiff spined defense of what is happening from his family. I think they're hurting because of this, but are mindlessly loyal to WT doctrine.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Nickolas:

You may enjoy this video. It was made by a poster here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRF7cOAy98w

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit