Anyone remember the stupidist of talks?

by letsslatejws 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• letsslatejws
    letsslatejws

I remember a talk being devoted to use of the correct grammatical pronunciation of words. In fact any elder or brother for that matter who didnt use the correct pronunciation was viewed as illiterate and dorky so the congregation snubbed them...

I remember the word machinations (of the devil) and the emphasis that it should be pronounced mack in nations...

another one was

behove was meant to be pronounced 'behoooved'

This was 'Theocratic Correctness' at its Best -

Was this a localised thing or did it happen throughout the congregations?

Changing the manner to how these words were generally spoken used to really get on my nerves....

• Ding
    Ding

I seem to remember that the WTS pronounced "Aquila" as AQ uilla instead of Aq UIL a so they'd be different from Christendom.

• booby
    booby

I remember a talk dealing with marital relationships? and part of the outline I guess required that the speaker had to discuss how taking the women from behind, and no it wasn't discussing anal, just from behind, was to impersonal. From the front, face to face, was more of a loving act. From the rear is reserved for animals according to that outline.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Probably not an example that fits your topic exactly, but I remember one public talk where the speaker rambled on and on about a horrific rape for about five minutes as part of his introduction. Of course the point was how bad the world was....

classy.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I remember a talk dealing with marital relationships? and part of the outline I guess required that the speaker had to discuss how taking the women from behind, and no it wasn't discussing anal, just from behind, was to impersonal. From the front, face to face, was more of a loving act. From the rear is reserved for animals according to that outline.

Are you serious? This was from the podium?

-Sab

• booby
    booby

Yup. I am looking to see if I can find the outline. I had downloaded them at one point. This was probably thirty or so years ago.

• undercover
    undercover

The stupidest I can think of right off is a talk on not using euphamisms, given by a Bethel elder.

Using real curse words like damn, hell, shit, etc was already bad enough but a true follower of Jehovah would not use replacement words like darn, heck or shoot either. The speaker even went to great lengths to give us the origin of some of the words used, just to impress to us that they had either pagan or unclean origins.

It was so over the top it was laughable. No one took it seriously.

• donny
    donny

One of the dumbest ones I heard was on a cassette. The talk was given in the mid 1970's and it was showing how the heart had a mind of its own and actually harbored emotional data. The speaker was trying to show why organ transplants were dangerous. He cited an example of a brother of European decent had a heart transplant and the one he received was from an African man.

Soon after the brother was released from the hospital, he had an unexplained drive to seek out African women and since the donor was also worldly, he had no inhibitions about committing fornication and adultery.

Does that mean if the donor had been Asian he would have an uncontrolled urge to increase his academics?

• undercover
    undercover
    The talk was given in the mid 1970's and it was showing how the heart had a mind of its own and actually harbored emotional data. The speaker was trying to show why organ transplants were dangerous.

That's also in print...in a WT magazine.

• bigmac
    bigmac

booby wrote;

"had to discuss how taking the women from behind,"

err, can you explain this a bit more, only this is a new one to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit