JWs live in willfull ignorance

by brotherdan 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Or google cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias.

This isn't cognitive dissonance. The man simply didn't want to get into it. Cognitive dissonance is a subsconcious conflict. I would wager this guy doesn't have any conflict, subconcious or not, about whether or not Jesus is God. Especially since the NWT pretty much does away with that doctrine as it was "translated."

The real issue here is his devotion to the NWT's teachings without verifying the NWT's authenticity.

-Sab

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The Dub wants to live in ignorance.

The fundy doesn't know how to nail his feet to the floor to keep him on a topic and only wants him to cult-hop anyway.

What a shambles.

• In
    In

There are people like this older man in every faith.

Remember when you used to go in service and lament how unwilling people were to listen; how they were happy with what they believed even though you said you could show them otherwise?

This is a common attitude.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster
    The best way to deal with a JW who doesn't want to listen to scriptures is to ask him/her to explain them to you because you're confused about how they fit into WT teaching.

When I do this, it always ends with "Jehovah can read hearts and is just and fair."

• Ding
    Ding

Mythbuster,

In the old days (not so long ago), JWs felt it was their duty to have an answer for everything as long as the questioner was sincere (i.e. not just trying to make them look bad).

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are told by the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger to not trust outside sources. Even if they can prove a doctrine wrong using their own Bible, they are still expected to go by and teach the bad doctrine until the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger itself changes it. "Running ahead of Jehovah" is usually cited in these cases.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I agree that the householder did not use the best techniques. But I think the householder was also shocked that the older guy would not even consider the possibility of being shown something different from what he believed already.

And I think this is a core problem of many if not most JWs. They already HAVE the truth. They don't need to look any further. It's a very cult mentality and I think it showed through very clearly in this video.

Also, Sab, contrary to what the Watchtower has taught about the Trinity, the concept of the Trinity IS monotheistic. It does not teach 3 Gods in 1. It teaches that there are 3 separate and distinct people, and they make up what we call "God". For example, Jesus is called "God" in the Bible. The Father is called "God" in the Bible. And the Holy Spirit is called "God" in the Bible. And yet we are taught that there is only 1 God. So the only conclusions we can come to is that all three make up the "Godhead".

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Mad Sweeny said:

Nobody on earth wants to see something that would change his beliefs.

I agree, however I think that truth seekers (whether atheist or theists) should be willing to consider all possibilities, even when they contradict what they already feel to be true. I hope I always stay this way. I am firm in my convictions, but I will never refuse to review evidence. As many of you have quoted from Thomas Paine, "

“It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry.”

• agent zero
    agent zero

unbelievable.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This one is living in willful ignorance. A more skilled proponant of their beliefs would have relished the opportunity.

I had conversations like that with trinity believers and we agreed to differ about what those scriptures were actually saying....but we enjoyed the conversation and would never refuse to look at the Bible

For him to say that he is afraid of losing his faith if he considered it, is appalling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit