JWs live in willfull ignorance

by brotherdan 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Watch this video and notice how the JW does not want someone to show him anything in the bible that is contrary to what he already believes...Whether the Trinity doctrine is correct or not is no my issue with this video. The person recording asks directly, "Would you be willing to let me show you where Jesus is called Jehovah or Almighty God in the Bible?" The JW says, "No, that would just cause me to doubt my beliefs. I am amazed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u7NUhyqFs0

• brotherdan
  • minimus
    minimus

jws don't understand the basics

• Ding
    Ding

Some JWs are well trained in expounding WT doctrine and replying to objections; others not so at all.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I just found it sad that this man refused to listen to the scriptures. He avoided even hearing a scripture.

I guess my post tile should've been different. More like, "Some JWs are ok to live in willfull ignorance"

• yesidid
    yesidid
    Some JWs are ok to live in willfull ignorance.

I agree. That would have been much better.

Many of us who are out, and many still in were/are ignorant, but not willfully so.

• Ding
    Ding

The best way to deal with a JW who doesn't want to listen to scriptures is to ask him/her to explain them to you because you're confused about how they fit into WT teaching.

This puts them in a very bad spot if they don't even give it a try.

A JW who has studied the Reasoning book should be able to give WT answers to almost anything at the door except "apostate literature."

It's hard to explain to someone at the door why earlier WT literature can't be questioned.

Of course, they can always ask where the householder got that information and then turn the whole discussion into the evils of associating with apostates.

Still, it makes them and the WTS look very bad to a "worldly," because it shows they have no real answers for the stupid stuff the WT has printed.

• sabastious
    sabastious

This guy just isn't articulating his beliefs very well. There is a strong case for a monotheistisc New Testament. He was caught off guard.

It wasn't that he didn't want to see something that would change his beliefs, he just felt it was a pointless endeavor because he believes in the evidence he has found.

-Sab

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It wasn't that he didn't want to see something that would change his beliefs

It absolutely was. Nobody on earth wants to see something that would change his beliefs. For more information, listen to the podcast at the link below:

http://www.forgoodreason.org/carol_tavris_mistakes_were_made

Or read the book "Mistakes Were Made, But Not By Me" by Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson.

Or google cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias.

• Think About It
    Think About It
    This guy just isn't articulating his beliefs very well. There is a strong case for a monotheistisc New Testament. He was caught off guard.
    It wasn't that he didn't want to see something that would change his beliefs, he just felt it was a pointless endeavor because he believes in the evidence he has found.

That's what I thought also. The householder didn't exactly put forth a convincing argument either. Probably all kinds of videos out there of religious hacks going at it with each other. Wonder what a person would think if a JW brought a video camera to the door and started taping the person and conversation?

Think About It

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit