by brotherdan 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• antes8080
    antes8080

Paragraph 5: Consider the example of two of our sisters in
    Malawi. In an effort to get them to buy political
    party cards, a violent mob beat, stripped, and
    threatened to rape them. The mob lyingly told
    them that even the members of the Bethel family
    had obtained party cards. The sisters’ response?
    “We serve only Jehovah God. So if the
    brothers at the branch office have bought cards,
    that does not make any difference to us. We will
    not compromise, even if you kill us!” After taking
    that courageous stand, the sisters were released

that is sad "even if you kill us" the org is the one reasponsible of blood but hey jehova has not been a great example him and his son have killed enough of ppl them selfs so they follow there lead...

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

"Still, as a people,“the chosen ones” and their loyal companions will physically survive the end of apostate Christendom by taking refuge in Jehovah and his mountainlike organization."

Mount Watchtower....

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Wow, those quotes actually have a laxative effect.

Now I gotta go!

• Chalam
    Chalam

I was thinking the same thing, brotherdan take note how much junk food you eat ;)

brotherdan I never said Jesus name was above the Father. I personally feel that the divine name in the OT is referring to the Father, the Son, AND the Holy Spirit.

An interesting point.

If this is so we should baptise in the name of "Yahweh" or indeed JW's favourite, "Jehovah".

As it is, the other scriptures say to baptise in the name of "Jesus" Acts 2:38, Acts 8:16, Acts 10:48, Acts 19:5

Maybe His name is synonymous with the Father and Spirit?

I

ndeed, it is ;) Romans 8:9, Galatians 4:6, Romans 8:15, John 14, John 10:30 etc.

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

• ziddina
    ziddina

What is this reference to Malawi??? That's really OLD news, isn't it?? Or has Malawi started persecuting the Jehovah's Witnesses AGAIN???

From "Crisis of Conscience", 1985 printing, Chapter 6, "Double Standards", [excerpts from...] pages 112 - 115...

[page 112, 1st paragraph...]

"...Beginning in 1964, Jehovah's Witnesses in Malawi began to experience persecution and violence on a scale rarely equalled in modern times. Successive waves of vicious countrywide attacks...swept over them in 1964, 1967, 1972 and again in 1975. In the first attack, 1,081 Malawian families saw their little homes burned or ...demolished, 588 fields of crops destroyed. In the 1967 attacks Witnesses reported the rapings of more than one thousand of their women... In each wave of violence, beatings, torture and even murder went virtually unchecked by the authorities and reached such intensity that thousands of families fled their homes and fields to neighboring countries..."

[same page, 2nd paragraph...]

"What was the issue around which this recurrent storm of violence revolved? It was the refusal of the Witnesses to purchase a party card of the ruling political party. Malawi is a one-party state... Jehovah's Witnesses who inquired were informed by the Society's Branch Office that to buy such a party card would be a violation of their Christian neutrality, a compromise, hence, unfaithfulness to God. The Branch position was upheld by the world headquarters organization and presented in detail in the Watchtower Society's publications..."

[page 113, 1st paragraph...]

"There is, however, a serious question in my mind about the position taken by the Branch Office and supported by the central headquarters in Brooklyn. ... In 1975 I was assigned to write material on the latest campaign...being carried on against the Malawian Witnesses. In explaining why Jehovah's Witnesses viewed the purchase of the party card so seriously, I presented information that had been published earlier, tracing a parallel between their stand and that of [early] Christians...who refused to put a pinch of incense on an altar as a sacrifice to the "genius" of the Roman emperor. At the time of doing so, I felt a sense of uncertainty - was the parallel completely true? ...Was purchasing a party card just as clearly an act of worship?..."

[page 114, 1st & 2nd paragraphs...]

"...the word "political" as well as "politics" came from the Greek word polis meaning simply a city. ... the Latin term politia means simply "citizenship, government, administration." ...Obviously, all government is political in this fundamental sense of the word. ...To be a citizen of any country is to be a member of such a political state, enjoying the benefits and bearing the responsibilities this membership brings. The extent to which one may submit to the demands of such a political state may vary, but the membership is still a fact. ..."

[page 114, paragraph 4 leading to top of page 115...]

"Which leads to the second reason for my questioning. I can understand why a person could coscientiously desire to be separate from the political strife and fierce competition that generally characterize party politics. The factors that made me think seriously about the situation in Malawi, however, was that it was, and is, a one-party state. ...It thus becomes, in a de facto sense, equivalent to the government itself, the "superior authority". If a person could be a citizen, and hence a member of the national political community, without violating integrity to God, where was the evidence to show that being submissive to the government's insistence ... that everyone purchase a card of the ruling party would constitute such a violation of integrity to God?..."

Whew!!! LONG quote!!! But I felt I needed to pull Ray Franz' reasoning out of those pages...

Anyway, in effect, since there was only ONE party in Malawi, how could buying a "political" card - which COULD be compared to a 'driver's license', in some countries - be a violation of Christian neutrality???

He then goes on to contrast the behavior required of the Malawian Witnesses with that of the Mexican brothers - Witnesses - who were openly allowed - BY THE BRANCH AND BETHEL HEADQUARTERS - to bribe Mexican officials to state that the Mexican brothers HAD ALREADY SERVED THEIR REQUIRED MILITARY TIME IN THE MEXICAN ARMY...

That bit of hypocrisy always gets me...

Anyhooo, I was wondering whether the poor Malawian Witnesses are again being required to make drastic and extreme sacrifices, or whether the Watchtower Society is 'resurrecting' their martyrdom to impress the Rank&File - as they did in the '50's and '60's, hammering we average Witnesses with the "sacrifices of the brothers in the German concentration camps"...

I swear, I felt like I was in WWII until the late 1970's, thanks to the Watchtower boys... They do like to drag up stuff from the past, to beat their current members over the head - er, 'encourage' - them with...

Zid

• In
    In

I found a Jewish professor of religious history at my university... I think I'm going to go have a little chat with him.

• watson
    watson
    In fact, our attitude toward
    Christ’s spiritual brothers is a major factor that
    will determine how we will be judged during the
    coming great tribulation.

I'm still trying to digest this one...With Billy on this one, good GOD!

• pirata
    pirata

WT's dishonest account of the Roman troops "unexpectedly leaving" the siege of Jerusalem.
    A far cry from: Yeah, they left for an unknown reason then came back.

Well, it seems it's not far-fetched after all, so I apologize for my initial over-reaction.

Josephus himself reports that Cestius Gallus retreated for no known reason:

Tishri 27-29;
    November 14-16
    Cestius attacks and pursues the rebels to Jerusalem. He pitches camp on Mount Scopus for three days to collect food from local villages. (2.19.4 527-528)
    Tishri 30;
    November 17
    Cestius advances on Jerusalem. He sets fire to to suburban districts, then moves to the wall of the upper city and pitches camp in the vicinity of the royal palace. (2.19.4 528-530)
    The principal pro-Roman men of Jerusalem invite Cestius into the city, but he delays. The rebels attack the pro-peace faction and murder their leaders, then bombard the Romans from the wall. After five days, the Romans, heavily shielded, are on the verge of undermining the wall and setting fire to the gate of the Temple. (2.19.5)
    Heshvan 5;
    November 22
    Cestius suddenly gives up and retreats from the city "without any reason in the world." [2.19.7 540]

Josephus: "It was, I suppose, owing to the aversion God had already toward the city and the sanctuary that He delayed from putting an end to the war that very day." [2.19.6 539]

Heshvan 6-7;
    November 23-24
    As Cestius retreats to Scopus and then to Gabaon he is pursued by the rebels, who devastate his army's flanks and rear and force the Romans to abandon most of their baggage train. Cestius halts at Gabao for two days to plan.

source http://www.josephus.org/warChronology2.htm

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I really have to hold back from gagging when I come across these quotes. Also noticed and asked "probing" question to my aunt that is starting to question the faith "have you noticed they hardly mention following christ but point to the GB or FDS"? "Can you see a difference in the song book and songs sung at churg"? (she wanted to go to another church and though I am not a church goer myself, I went with her for support)

Anyway **gag**

• Joliette
    Joliette

Yeah @ the second poster, this does sound like a broken record.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit