Just look at how they changed these lyrics in the new song book

by WingCommander 21 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

This is disgusting!!! We've all heard that the new song book is really, really, really BAD......but I didn't see many examples cited of just how they changed some of the wording. Oh sure, we all know by now how incredibly hard it is to sing along with the garbage they wrote, tempo, lack of beat, odd rythm, timing, etc, etc. But I hadn't read some of the changes. Well here are a few examples, courtesy of "Designer Stubble" over on Ronnie's site.

Song 51/11: Making Jehovah’s Glad

Old Book (Song 51):
    2. May we from your side never move;
    A liar the Tempter we would prove.
    Your principles and laws so right
    We would make daily our delight.

New Book (Song 11):
    2. Your slave, your steward here on earth,
    Proclaims your greatness and your worth,
    Feeds us with nourishment when due,
    Thus strengthens us your will to do.

Song 174/43: Stay Awake, Stand Firm, Grow Mighty

Old book, second verse:
    In his place each one be heeding, what Christ Jesus has to say"
    New book, second verse:
    Stay alert to Christ's direction, Through his faithful slave today, heed the counsel of the older men" ^^^^^^^^^^ I am disgusted beyond belief at this outright man-worship that they have injected into the song book. There is no way I could be a JW today and swallow this tripe!!!! No - freakin - way!!!!! Imagine coming from a large so-called "Worldly Christendom Church" where they sing with feeling and the songs are accompanied by real organs, pianos, brass instruments, etc.....and then stepping into a Kingdom Hall and hearing this canned crap??? Add on top of that a helping over praising the "Governing Body" in an opening prayer and I'll bet some people leave before the public talk even starts. Disgusting!!! Who put these old geezers in Jesus' place? Unbelievable!!! - Wing Commander

• sabastious
    sabastious

Singing about them isn't blatent worship, but it's damn close.

-Sab

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Sounds like the book should be named, "sing praises to the governing scumbags". As it was in the old book, there were several songs I refused to sing.

I haven't been to a hall in 7 1/2 years. If I went today the amount of time it would take before I puked could be measured with an egg timer.

W

• Elder-Patrol
    Elder-Patrol

It might be better to check some of this before repeating it.

The first example is really trivial and not quite what was quoted above...

1984 Songbook (underlined was replaced)
    Your slave, so faithful and discreet,
    Helps us know what is wise and meet,

2009 Songbook (underlined was added)
    Your slave, your steward here on earth,
    Proclaims your greatness and your worth,

The other example is less trivial, but even there the 1984 version said 'each one obeys in his place' while the 2009 version states the place of the "faithful slave"...

1984 Songbook (underlined was replaced)
    Stay awake and keep your senses,
    Always ready to obey.
    In his place each one be heeding
    What Christ Jesus has to say.
    From his fine example, we discern
    How Jehovah’s favor all can earn.

2009 Songbook (underlined was added)
    Stay awake, and keep your senses,
    Always ready to obey.
    Stay alert to Christ’s direction
    Through his faithful slave today.
    Heed the counsel of the older men,
    Who protect his sheep and truth defend.

It has seemed to me that a large goal was to increase the number of beats to ease lyrics for languages with more syllables than English.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    Disgusting!!! Who put these old geezers in Jesus' place? Unbelievable!!!

You certainly have a way with words WingCommander

The JW song book has always been devised to plant thoughts in the sub-conscious of the gullible fools who give voice to these mind numbingly crass lyrics.

The new song book has become more blatant. Perhaps the 'steward here on earth' realises it is losing its grip and is becoming less subtle.

• snakeface
    snakeface

I hope they changed the one about "precious gifts from God our children are..." where it says "He says 'use the rod!'"

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Does anyone know if they changed the "molesting bees" phrase?

• sd-7
    sd-7

Elder-Patrol makes a good point for that first change. They always mentioned the faithful slave in that song, that's not a new addition, just a minor change to what was already there. The change to "Stay Awake, Stand Firm, Grow Mighty", though, seemed unnecessary in terms of doctrine; our orders were coming from Jesus, why insert the 'faithful slave' there? And if you're going to change things for other languages, then change the lyrics in those languages to suit it and leave the English version alone. Or at least don't include unnecessary references to a slave class that, supposedly, should be humbly staying out of the picture and directing attention to Christ, not to the notion that Christ's orders come through them. I think that's the more troubling thing about this.

The song 'Hail Jehovah's Firstborn' was also changed, and now includes a reference to the 'bride of Christ', the anointed. Again, not necessary to change that song, for any reason. While those additions were pretty minor, the Society is anything if not subtle in how they choose their words. The words are in there for a reason, and combined with a significant amount of chest-thumping in the study articles, it just seems like they're giving themselves a bit too much importance.

I guess we can be thankful they don't update the song book everytime they change their understanding of Matthew 24:34. I'll just leave it at that.

-sd-7

• St George of England
    St George of England

Song 125

God provides his steward and his active force

These will ever guide us in our Christian course

The GB up with HS in guiding us!

George

• sd-7
    sd-7

I doubt the "around me swarms Satan's crowd like bees that were molested" song is still in there. I didn't notice, but I doubt they'd leave that setof lyrics in. At least the old songbook had some good comedy moments like that one. People were always laughing at that line--that one and the "He says 'Use the rod'" line. Funny. I never thought about how absurd those two lines sound when put together.

They are gifts from God. He says 'Use the rod'. Hmm. God's given you some gifts, and he tells you to beat them--oh, sorry, shepherd them with tenderness. After all, rods weren't used for beating sheep, right? But I always assumed they were talking about beating, not gentle shepherding, and I'm sure a lot of other people felt that way, too.

-sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit