WT Society Has to be Forced by Courts to Reveal Hidden Child Abuses

by flipper 39 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Again it depends on the state. I'm not sure what the count is (here in the US) but the last I checked it was around 35 states that required clergy to report with the other 15 either not specifically mentioning it or not addressing it in their laws.

In states where there is mandatory reporting, privilege is not provided for child abuse cases.

Here's a nice summary: http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/statutes/clergymandated.cfm

Given the problems with religious organizations and child molesters, I hope the remaining 15 states follow the other 35 and mandate that clergy report these horrible crimes and protect the the children within their flocks.

To be fair, this issue is way bigger than just the little WTS. With only about 1 million members out of 300 million people in the US, there are far bigger fish to fry.

• flipper
    flipper

Sorry it took awhile to respond on this thread. Been REALLy busy with work the last week. Since Doubting Bro was last I'll reply to ou first, then the others.

DOUBTING BRO- I agree with you. I'd like ALL 50 states to be reporting states then child molesters wouldn't be able to scurry off into non-reporting states where the laws are too lax. All we can do is hope that law enforcement in this country & the government starts seeing the seriousness of child abuse as a criminal offense.

OTWO- Very true that the elders are going to the WT society first to cover their a$$e$ legally. And because they are sharing confidential JC details with others OUTSIDE the 3 guys on a JC - they violate the confidentiality so it wouldn't hold water in court.

I DO have a problem with priests using " clergy penitent privilege " regarding child abuse because in most cases a child molester WILL NOT be influenced by a priest to confess to the police . That's why the molester is going to confess to a confidential priest in the FIRST place - to keep it hidden & quiet. To NOT get exposed.

There are certain states which have laws requiring ANYBODY in positions of authority dealing with children to go DIRECTLY to the law enforcement officials if ANY report of child abuse is given them. I've read where child day care centers, YMCA, psyhologists, priests, etc. ANYBODY overseeing children have a moral & legal obligation to report cghild abuse to authorities. I'll have to find that info- but I read it on the board here somewhere.

JOSHINAZ- You make very good points. I agree with you. In my opinion the elders should NOT be the first to hear about a child abuse offense ! Victims should bypass the elders and go to the police FIRST & FOREMOST -as the priority is in protecting children from further harm & exposing the molester as doing a CRIMINAL deed- not just a SIN. This crap HAS gone on too long in the JW organization as well as OTHER cults & churches. It's time for exposure and time for people to wake the hell up !

EXWHYZEE- Good point. If an announcement was made to a congregation of someone getting DFed it would crtainly start rumors. Especially among some who knew of a child abuse offense. But even the JC elders REPORTING it to Bethel legal - breaks the alleged " clergy confidentiality " anyway - so it wouldn't bode well for the WT society in courts.

DSSYNERGY- You are right. Since mandatory reporting is required in most states anyway the ecceisiastical privilege is violated required by law ! It's a slippery slope which the WT society really hasn't thought out well at all. Reason WT society doesn't inform elders of their legal & moral obligations to report ? Because they don't care about victims. They just care about the publicity of their reputation.

VM 44 - As mentioned in the Gilbert Simental links - court orders WERE brought in time requiring elders to testify in court about what was said at Gilbert Simental's JC meeting about his child abuse offenses. They HAD to testify or they WOULD have been held in contempt of court. There needs to be MORE pressure exerted on elders to do this. But it requires these cases to actually GO to court and requires victims & elders to ACTUALLY REPORT it to police so it can GET to the courts !

WASANELDERONCE- Exactly. You hit the point on the head. The WT society's own rules & regulations void any clergy confidentiality clause. The confidentiality gets lost as soon as the JC elders report it to bethel.

WT WIZARD- I agree with you. If copyright laws are broken to expose child molesters - so what ? The act of child molestation is a far more serios felonious crime which has to be stopped in our country ! People pondering on joining a cult like the JW's need to be informed of what's happening inside the cult before joining so their own children aren't put in danger by prospective pedophiles.

TRUTHSEEKERIAM- What you & your husband experienced egarding your daughter & the treatment you received from elders was criminal & horrific ! The GB & elders are just a bunch of cowardly panty waists's who are hiding child abusers among their ranks to avoid bad publicity and the law exposing them ! If enough people bring it out in the public - they WILL get exposed more & more. I'm so sorry you went through that experience with your daughter. I do hope she is doing somewhat better now friend.

ELDER- PATROL - Elders may consider themselves " spiritual advisor's " however when they do that in confidentiality AGAINST the law it prohibits law enforcement officials from ever becoming AWARE of child abuse occuring in the JW congregations ! There is no way that " elders and other bonafide spiritual advisors recognize BOTH an obligation to maintain a penitent's confidentiality AND an obligation to legitimate civil authority. " That can't happen in synchronicity do you realize that ? The main priority the law will look at is the protection of further harm to the child victim and putting the child molester behind bars. The main priority the priests or elders look at is the keeping the child abuse crime confidential for the outward appearance of the church or WT society. There are 2 DIFFERENT goals or aims here - don't confuse that fact. Elders HAVE refused to testify in court. It happened in the link I posted on the JW child molester Gilbert Simental. The elders were FORCED to testify by a court order !

JAMES-WOODS- Good point. WT society can't argue " ecclesiastical privilege " if they don't have a clergy. Yet the WT society does try to control & have power over their members very true.

MAD SWEENEY- It really is criminal in my opinion how the WT society handles protecting the confidentiality of these child abuse cases. Actually it's a violation of intruding and preventing law officials & police from doing their investigations ! WT society should be brought up on charges of abetting & tampering in my opinion

• flipper
    flipper

Wanted to bump this up for any who may have missed it. Thanks for any comments

• Scott77
    Scott77

Hi Flipper,

I have read the link provided. I found it be informative with many quotes from Attorneys. Particularly, I was surprised to read that Bill Bowen, an ex-JW Elder and an activist Watchtower critic after 2002, is quoted as reporting of the existance of 'a nonpublic database of Jehovah’s Witnesses who elders determine have committed acts of child molestation'. I wish this database becomes official and is posted on the internet.

Scott77

• flipper
    flipper

SCOTT 77 - Thanks. Myself , as well as others here on the board have been aware of this " nonpublic data base " which has the names of over 20,000 JW's who are known child molesters. However- getting the WT society to ever release that to public access would be like getting snow to not melt in fire. Won't happen - unless there is a HUGE child abuse scandal with hundreds or thousands of JW children as victims coming out in the news. Only THEN will attorneys for victims insist that the WT society finally release the database

• flipper
    flipper

Wanted to bump this up for people to see. Obviously the WT society is concerned about elders flapping their pie holes to attorneys or law enforcement officials or media - thus this information is in the new elders manual. All comments welcome

• flipper
    flipper

Wanted to bump this up for people to see how the instructions in the newer Elder's manual tell elders to NOT give out any information about child abuse cases in their congregations to non-Witness attorneys if requested. WT society is all bout protecting the organization- not innocent children. All comments welcome

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Do they ever write movingly of the harm to the victim or the very uneven stances of a child and adult. We were all taught that being deferential was a holy trait.

This may be a bit off-topic. I was doing some legal research and b/c I was bored, stumbled onto a law review article concerning Jehovah's Witnesses and prewar Japan. Dropping all my other reading, I was excited. I was outraged to see that a mere hank of hair woman was the Witness lawyer. It seemed strange to find a JW article among legal topics. I knew nothing about Japan and WWII compared to JW victims of the Holocaust. REading the stories of actual individual Witnesses who faced such a struggle seemed informative. There was not a single mention of an individual Japanese Witness! Not one.

I don't think Rutherford had big balls for sitting in Brooklyn and dispatching others to death. There were no names. It was all rah-rah Witness this. Anyone not a Witness would become nauseated the way she wrote about the Society. I started crying with frustration.

As soon as I had access to my good personal statonery, I wrote her a note, telling her how strange she could be a lawyer while I was slated to bag groceries. Next, I wrote the true heroes and people with character were the individual Witnesses who endured utter hell. Further, I thought that writing a law review article was instructive. How dare she cut down some glorious male by instructing? Part of me wishes I told her I put a vodoo curse on her and mention an island Brooklyn neighborhood.

I don't know how other religions handle pedophile allegations. They must have policies. I would not be surprised if they did not care about their institutions, too. Does anyone know?

• flipper
    flipper

BAND ON THE RUN- Interesting post. Thanks for sharing what you read. In answer to your questions I know the Catholics take child abuse a lot more seriously now that they paid out millions $$$ of dollars several years back to hundreds of victims. It used to be they'd just transfer a child abusing priest to another location somewhere - I don't believe they do that anymore. Now they just relieve them of their priesthood.

Most of the time you will find that whether it's Mormons , Baptists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholics or other religions the main thing they are concerned about is not the victims - it's whether or not the child abuse is made public on any form of media, Internet, T.V., radio, newspapers, etc. They are just concerned about financial and legal liabilities, not welfare of children

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

If a judge ruled that discovery of the KH was warranted and no First A. bars are presented, I believe the elders would have to turn them over. If true, there would be no records.

Actually, if I were their lawyer, maybe tell them to purge their files after a recent date so it is not look as evidence is being destroyed yet bad stuff cannot be found.

The clergy/penitent privilege developed when the concept of any separation of church and state was absent. There are some people one is supposed to be able to talk to freely: spouse, medical doctor, shrink, lawyer. There have been moves to extend it to other groups, such as press. Growing up Witness, I believed confession was wrong so I don't take it seriously. Roman Catholics might take it very seriously.

I have no idea what the contours are for the privilege and whether an elder would qualify.

Are elders ever mandatory reporters of child abuse? elders as individuals? as leaders of a relgion? Would they say two witnesses are necessary to report someone? Frankly, I don't care if a pedophile is punished by disfellowshipping. Notice to the congregation and authorities is important to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit