How do you feel about religion as a whole?

by FatherFirst 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

There are bunches of people within religion who are good people and the religion helps them to focus on humanitarian things. So I don't lump it all into making bad people worse. It sometimes gathers good people together to do greater things as a group. But within their groups, it's a shame that they cannot see that they could do the greater good without the religion and their assets would go further toward the humanitarian acts were they not drained by the pomp and circumstance.

And yes, there is always a danger, even within such groups, for the religion and/or it's leaders to make good people do bad things in the name of their religion. If they joined the Red Cross or Green Peace or some other groups, they could still do greater things as a group.

• done4good
    done4good

Religion has served its purpose for humans. At this point in human historical development, it works against progress, and probably for the most part has, since the beginning of the Age of Reason. I really am hard pressed to think of anything good for society that is not already done secularly, that religion currently provides. I am sorry, but the argument that "my church feeds the poor", is a weak one in modern society. The most effective programs are largely secular in nature.

What religion does provide society that secularism does not by its nature is: bigotry, hatred, war, ignorance, etc.

I have no need for it.

d4g

• Phizzy
    Phizzy
    I am with the great Hitch on this, "Religion poisons everything".
  • JeffT
    JeffT

Fatherfirst, OTWO, done4good:

I've pointed out what the churches have been doing for the homeless (among other things, but the homeless camps are a good example). You have countered that people don't need a religion to get together and accomplish good things. I agree they shouldn't need it. The trouble is, at least around here, they don't seem to actually DO something. There is lots and lots of talk, the problem gets studied from all angles and everybody agrees that we should give the homeless a home - in somebody else's neighborhood. The thing the churches do best is convince the faithful that some degree of personal sacrifice and/or inconvenience is necessary to do good.

The above process has become so well-established on all sorts of things it is now referred to as "the Seattle way." Anytime you feel like trying to herd cats, come on out.

• jhine
    jhine

It could be argued that people who perpetrate evil in the name of religion are not actually following the religion that they say has made them act that way .

Love your neighbour as yourself is the second main tenet of Christianity ,as well as ,in other forms a lot of the worlds religions . If you are not following the rules how are you part of the club ?

Lots of people do evil in the name of political ideology . Facism and Communism are the main ones that spring to mind . Do we ban politics?

Crimes against humanity are wrong however the criminals try to justify their actions and need to be stopped , but it is not just religion that is used by evildoers.to legitimise what they do .

Jan

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    religion as a whole?.... how about religion as a "Hole" a black hole of knowledge. Or a hole in the head that your rational brain falls out of
  • never a jw
    never a jw

How do you feel about religion as a whole?

It's full of it, but makes fairy tale believers happy. Why not

• flipper
    flipper

Religion as a whole ? It sucks. Much of the religion today makes normal people turn their brains and neurotransmitters in their brains to superstitious silly putty - relying on inconclusive stories from the Bible and/or their Pastor's/ Minister's or elder's.

The rich, elite and powerful find religion useful to control the poor, downtrodden , insecure and weaker powerless people of society. People give all their power and control of their lives to religions hoping to find answers to life's questions - an easy way out - so to speak - so they don't have to find their own answers. It's much easier for some of these people to let somebody else explain the meaning of life to them , than for them to actually LIVE life in the here and now and not worry about a " living forever ", " going to heaven " , or a " rapture ". Reality is good- it's nothing to fear. So my message to religious people is stop being superstitious and enjoy living your life in the here and now. How I see it. Some people feel they need answers supplied to them- other people just let life educate them with answers learned in day to day living

• cappytan
    cappytan

How do I feel about it? It's completely ridiculous and gobledeegook.

How do I feel about others who are religious? As long as it doesn't tread on my rights and freedoms, believe all you want.

• done4good
    done4good

JeffT- I've pointed out what the churches have been doing for the homeless (among other things, but the homeless camps are a good example). You have countered that people don't need a religion to get together and accomplish good things. I agree they shouldn't need it. The trouble is, at least around here, they don't seem to actually DO something. There is lots and lots of talk, the problem gets studied from all angles and everybody agrees that we should give the homeless a home - in somebody else's neighborhood. The thing the churches do best is convince the faithful that some degree of personal sacrifice and/or inconvenience is necessary to do good.

I agree that on a localized, practical level, religion may very well serve to enable some people to do good works that may otherwise be difficult to organize. They key word is difficult, and not impossible.

Many things work well on a local level, (as the saying goes, think globally act locally), however realistically not all things scale well, and extrapolate linearly. On a large scale, (or the "whole", as the OP brings out), more harm is done than good by religion. One doesn't need look too far to back this up empirically.

d4g

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit