1st Post! and the topic of Grace

by GOrwell 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

Hi Folks,

A bit of a long-time lurker and a recently registered account, I thought I'd post my first topic. I'm a successful fader, and have recently begun reading the New Testament, using a few different translations (NWT included, for comparisons sake). Previously, I genuinely had zero interest or desire in reading the actual Bible. I never knew why, but really, what is the point of reading the Bible (outside of the proof texts), when all the answers are decided for you?

Anyways, in reading the NT, the NWT translations seemed terrified of including the word or concept of grace, which is nearly without fail translated as "undeserved kindess." Does the word have too many connotations of Christendom for it to be included? The word itself has many different meanings/shades of meanings, and the insight on the scriptures book lists over 14 different possible meanings. Of course, instead of translating according to context or having the word stand on it's own merit, every instance of grace has been replaced with one narrow phrase of "undeserved kindess."

Other translations for the most part have 'grace,' with the occasional change for a meaning that fits the context better.

I really am puzzled why the translators would be scared of this word to not even have it even occur once in the New Testament. It's along the same lines of "Exercise faith," instead of just "believe."

Thoughts?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Great point and hearty welcome, GOrwell!

Grace sortof does away with the whole WORK WORK WORK yourself to death for the organization, doesn't it? How do you expect them to run their publishing company without FREE printing labor and multitudes giving FREE distribution labor...? Once the insideous idea gets around that all one needs is grace, there goes all their voluntary slave labor.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Welcome GOrwell, as far as the words I think it would be interesting to see what you could find out about them on the computer..or possibly some on here may have encountered it as they attended college..I don't have a clue.

I don't think I have ever heard the JW's use the word "Grace" but other religions do often. Interesting question and again, welcome!

Snoozy..

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Welcome to the forum Gowell....glad you're enjoying the NT

Loz x

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

Thank you two for the warm welcome. It is pretty astounding to read through Romans for the first time and see how strongly Paul wrote about that all you need is faith and grace to be saved, and its definitely not of our own merit that we receive life. Of course, you'd actually have to read Romans with another translation, as the NWT is simply brutal (along with Hebrews) for understanding the text.

I'll have to do some further research on grace, but it shouldn't be too hard, as the topic has probably been done to death.

• Hadit
    Hadit

Welcome GOrwell! Great to hear that you faded successfully. As to grace - they won't use it because it's hard to flog people under that concept! The translators knew that you cannot make people worship them if all they needed was grace. Hence the exercise faith as well. It all comes down to mind control.

Hadit

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

Welcome GOrwell

Glad you joined us.

First thing I did when I left the Borg was to buy a few different translations of the bible. The NWT is a crappy translation (to put it nicely without swearing).

If you believe in the Bible (I don't anymore), then 'yes' all you need is faith and grace to be saved! That's it period! The Watchtower Corp is a cult and like most cults they keep you busy working for salvation. While you're busy running around knocking on empty doors and attending so many mind numbing meetings, you have less time to think about or research this stupid religion cult.

Welcome to the human race, away from the Borg!

3Mozzies

• Cook My Socks UK
    Cook My Socks UK

Tap "grace" into WTL and it comes up with "see undeserved kindness"!

• Cook My Socks UK
    Cook My Socks UK

*** w56 7/1 p. 415 Questions From Readers ***
    Likewise with the expression “undeserved kindness.” It is simply because people do not understand the meaning of this Scriptural Greek word in its several uses that the New World Translation Committee made the meaning unmistakable by the use of the above expression. In English the word “grace” has fourteen or more different meanings. Which one does it mean, as at John 1:14 (AV), “full of grace and truth”? Does it mean there “gracefulness”? Or “favor”? Or “the grant of temporary immunity”? Or what? The New World Translation leaves no doubt as to the meaning but renders it “undeserved kindness,” in keeping with the context, as, for instance, the succeeding verse 17.
    So we appreciate the New World Translation for its attention to detail and its sincere effort to bring out the exact shade of meaning of the original koiné Greek rather than bring out a slipshod translation with an equivocal meaning.

It's because we are stupid?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome; good to hear you have faded.

The Watchtower is a religion that bases salvation on works (distribute more magazines) and the word grace interferes with that mentality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit