Soldiers of Jah

by cofty 214 Replies latest watchtower bible

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

And I do have an understanding of science. Not all scientists are evolutionists, you know.

Oh, you have AN understanding to be sure :)

And yeah, cofty, me and BD go back and forth on this all the time. He's a good dude and I like him and I feel for his situation having been there myself. I enjoy the back and forth.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Uhh...okay. I don't think you understood but as an idiot Christian it's likely I'm wrong on this.

I read and understood perfectly. I don't think Christians are idiots at all, just that their beliefs put them a logically untenable and indefensable postion.

• tec
    tec

Tammy, i think it was specifically related to fertility cults and sexual idolatry, the same things the Israelites did often and WEREN'T killed for. God appears to be partial....

Is that what the sacrifices to Moloch was about? Doesn't really matter what the reason was, mind you. (especially since we're just speculating) Just that they were doing it. And if you recall, the Israelites were defeated and captured and enslaved many times over for doing and practicing those things.

Interestingly, the Canaanites, doing the SAME THINGS THE ISRAELITES WERE DOING, just HAPPENED to be living on the land God wanted the Israelites to have and were condemned for the SAME THINGS THE ISRAELITES HAD DONE AND WOULD DO AGAIN.

Were the Israelites practicing child/human sacrifice before their freedom from the Egyptians?

And I think you're missing the point that the Caananites didn't just happen to be living on the land God wanted to give the Israelites. They lost their right to that land, as the Israelites were told would happen to them if they adopted those same customs. Had the Caananites not been doing the things abhorrent to God, then there is no reason they would have lost their land or been destroyed.

The fact is there are many reasons for these accounts: 1)the Israelites could have misunderstood what it was being asked of them, based on their limited understanding of God and the world around them (especially since the kingdom Christ spoke of is spiritual), 2) the caananites could have been warned many times over that they and theirs would be destroyed if they continued in their ways, and they did not heed that warning... and so it came to pass (we already know that God will relent if a nation repents and changes its ways - such as with the Ninevites), 3) the caananites could have grown into a nation that destroyed all others if they had not been completely destroyed themselves - something only God could know, and 4) there is no god involved at all.

The cries against the canaanites could have been more than God could ignore also, btw, as the cries against Sodom and Gomorrah were.

But we, ourselves, do not have all the facts to be able to pass judgment.

Tammy

• cofty
    cofty

Brotherdan I have just looked back trough this thread and noticed you have not said a single word about the original topic.

How about you read the OP and share your thoughts?

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Notverylikely,

If you don't believe Christians are idiots, and thanks for that, do you have a one word description for Christians that I could take with me then?

• cofty
    cofty

But we do have the fact that the bible says that god commanded his armies to commit despicable war crimes.

Our options are to either applaud god's cruelty or to concede that the bible is not what its claimed to be

• Twitch
    Twitch

Ahh, fanaticism is underrated

I recall some soldierboy-doing-the-lord's-will fantasies come the day of the big A when I was a young dub.

After all, the lord willed it to his chosen people in the OT, would it be unrealistic to expect it again? And what greater purpose than his will and honor?

Then I woke up,...

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

If you don't believe Christians are idiots, and thanks for that, do you have a one word description for Christians that I could take with me then?

I am not sure if I can sum it up in a single word as that depends on what type of Chrisitan you are. PScac is very different from Aguest and she is different from you and you are differnt from tec and she is different from Syl. I like Syl a LOT although we often get a little crossways, I love tec, she is an absolute sweetheart. I like BD, I like Shelby, you are mostly a good bunch of people. If I can indulge upon your generosity and use a phrase rather than a word, I would have to go with "lacking in critical thinking skills in a very specific area".

That's not to say lacking critical thinking skills, just that they are turned off or muted when it comes to God. That's not a criticism, just an observation. I know well that in certain areas my critical thinking skills are muted as well.

On a side note, WTF is up with Eli tonight? Two interceptions in less than five minutes.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Tec, then that's the Lord's fault for not providing enough info to not make him looked like a crazed maniac.

• tec
    tec

On a side note, WTF is up with Eli tonight? Two interceptions in less than five minutes.

(shh. Dallas is my team, and we need a win. in fact we need wins for the rest of the season )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit