Archaeology vs WBTS ( who build the pyramids?)

by bj 16 Replies latest jw friends

• bj
    bj

In MY BOOK OF BIBLE STORIES (1978), chapter 27, the WBTS give the impression to readers, that Israelites, participated in building Egyptian Pyramids. Also, THE WATCHTOWER - November 15, 1987, page 30, raises the two following questions: "Do the pyramids of Giza (near modern Cairo) bring to mind abused slaves toiling under hot sun to drag huge stones into place? And do you imagine Hebrew slaves among them?" But did Hebrew slaves participated in their building?

While reading the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC, November 2001, pp. 78 - 99 (french edition), I came across the following interesting information.
    The Egyptologist Zahi Hawass (Director of archaeologie at Giza), and archaeologist Mark Lehner (of Harvard University),conclude that the pyramids weren't constructed by slaves neighter by foreigners, but by Egyptian citizens.

The theory of "foreigners and slaves" orignated from Hérodote (450 BCE). In 1990, a discovery of a necropolis near the three big pyramids of Giza, proved Hérodote wrong.

Joe

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

bj

hmmmmmm?

Bar-Jonah?

Nic'

http://www.do-not-call.org

• uncle_onion
    uncle_onion

Also the pyramids were built at the same time as the flood according to the WTS.

UO

• chasson
    chasson

Hi Bj,

perhaps this is some vestige of the pyramidology of Russell. He believes that it was in fact Joseph under the direction of God who build the pyramid of Giza.

Bye

Charles

• Carlo
    Carlo

The three big pyramids was build in 2600 b.c.

The flood took place 2000 b.c.

It is not possible to dstinguish who was free and who was slaves in ancient civilizations. Nobody was free.

Carlo

• belbab
    belbab

I believe I read somewhere, that there exists certain hieroglyphics on stone, that said there were teams of stone handlers etc. and they were in competition with each other. This certainly does not seem to indicate slaves did all the work.

Can you imagine, baseball teams playing as slaves. Hey maybe the Watchtower could get a franchise, and use their slaves as a exultation to Jah's name.

belbab

• aChristian
    aChristian

Carlo,

You wrote: The flood took place 2000 b.c.

Actually, the Watchtower Society dates the flood to 2370 BC. They do so based on Bible chronology together with their date of 607 BC for Jerusalem's destruction by Babylon. However, as many here know, the Society's 607 BC date for that event is wrong. All serious historians tell us that Jerusalem was destroyed by Babylon in 587/6 BC. That means Bible chronology may in fact date the flood to 2350 BC.

This is quite interesting because recent scientific tree ring studies tell us that a major climate altering event occurred in 2350 BC. An event that may well have caused a very large flood in southern Mesopotamia, such as that referred to in the Genesis flood account. This subject was recently discussed on this board at length in a thread entitled "space.com dates Noah's flood to 2350 BC" here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=17590&site=3

• aChristian
    aChristian

accidental post duplication

• heathen
    heathen

If the isrealites did not build the pyramids that would mean that the 10 commandment movie with charlton heston was wrong and hollywood once again lied to the public claiming it is the best reinactment made.now you might wind up with alot of bad reviews of your post.however I did look up the account in exodus which does state the hebrews were taken as slaves to perform hard labor under tyranny.It doesn't mention pyramids it does say every work of the field to which they used slave labor including building store houses .who is to say for certain though?yes I did see the documentary on the discovery channel about the pyramids which was very interesting but also inconclusive.the egyptians were know to falsify the record in order to exult the pharohs and discredit their enemies.It is entirely possible they rewrote their history after the red sea incident.of course there are other theories I'm sure are out there (one icludes ufo's from outer space)of which I don't even take seriously.let the reader use decernment.

• rem
    rem

Heathen,

You don't accept theories about UFO's in outer space, but you do accept that it is possible for the Red Sea to be parted by a miracle for the Israelites to escape?

rem

"We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking." - Mark Twain

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit