Physical Appearance since leaving the JW's

by jolly_green_giant 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Quotes
    Quotes

For a while I had a goatee, then reduced it to a "soul patch" a.k.a. "flavor saver".

Funny, when I was in, and was in school (University --- EVIL! :) )I got in the habit of not shaving during exams. By the end of the 2-3 weeks, I had quite the growth. Since I would skip meetings during exams (EVIL! :) ) it wasn't a problem.

After one exam period, I decided to keep the beard... neatly trimmed of course... my wife wasn't thrilled, but kinda liked it at the same time... I showed up at the meeting, thinking nothing of it, since I didn't even know that beards were considered "bad".

It was my turn on "roving mics" so at the appropriate time I got up to get the microphone and do my duty... when an elder, whom I will call BRO. EVANSON, (because that is his name) gets up and stops me, and quietly wispers that I "Can't have my privlege, because of the beard." Again, I was young and naive, and had NO IDEA what he was talking about... but I sat down confused, and also HAPPY because I HATED being on "roving mics".

A couple of years later, when I was well on my way OUT, I shaved to go to memorial (my last) again because I had a few weeks growth... and my wife sheepishly says how pleased she is that I shaved for memorial. SHE BECAME REALLY UPSET when I speculated the possibity that that a clean shaved face was a 20th century manifestation and created by the razor companies, and that most likely Jesus and the apostles all had full beards! :)

I since have heard that in Europe, Great Britain, etc, it is OK for a JW to have a beard.... once again, ARBITRAY ENFORCEMENT.

===========================
    For interesting Watchtower Society literature quotes, complete with references but without any editorial, check out:
    http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

• Grout
    Grout

I'm given to understand that Rutherford banned beards because
    so many brothers were wearing them in honor of Russell.

--
    Chip Salzenberg: Free-Floating Agent of Chaos

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I always had hair that was 'too long' and jeans that were too tight (but only the sisters commented on that...). I also dressed too casually for some elders tastes.

Since I left, my hair reached (at it's longest) my nipples, although it's just a shoulder length shaggy cut now.

I've had a navel piercing, a tragus piercing, and an ordinary lobe piercing on my right ear.

I am playing with the idea of having some angel wings tattooed on my back...

I dress casually most of the time, and have leathers and shiney PVC jeans, and big-sleeved gothy shirts for when I want.

I couldn't grow a real beard to shave my life (haha), as I am very hairless, and end up with a patchy mess. I had a 'tashe as a MiniServ, but that was a big mistake.

Quotes; Beard enforcement varies between circuits. I know one guy in London who went from a distinguished looking guy with a beard to a dweeby shorn-faced dweeb to make elder.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• SYN
    SYN

I haven't really changed much about myself, although my clothes are a thousand times better than they were at the time I left the Org. I can't handle long hair (it's bloody annoying!) so it's always been cropped quite short, and I am in the same boat as Abbadon, ie. I don't have very much body hair either, so no beard or anything. Besides, they feel like sandpaper on soft, sensitive skin, if you catch my drift!

"I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone." -- Charles Darwin, The Origin Of Species, 1869.

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey

Shaved my head grew a goatee.

• Mr Bean
    Mr Bean

"Since I left, my hair reached (at it's longest) my nipples, although it's just a shoulder length shaggy cut now."

Me tooooo.........

My nipples are on the level od my knees though!!!! ;-P

Peace!!!

• Mr Bean
    Mr Bean

Now seriously... ;P

Somehow I think that most males do have beards!

True? :)

• Geordie
    Geordie

I had dread's but shaved them off. grew a mowhawk wich i have on my pic. Shortly after a visit to boot's the chemist it went blue. Shaved that off and now my hair is as short as you can get it with a pair of clippers.
    I have a pierced bottom lip with a 1 inch spike protruding through my 8 inch long goatie.
    I wair lots of leather and always dress in black. My favourite item of clothing at the moment is my leather duster coat, wich reaches my ankles.
    I usually ride "street fighter" style motor bikes, but at the moment i'm riding a trike.
    I have tribal style tatoos covering both shoulders and my back.
    Apart from that i dont think ive changed my appearance at all.

• Valis
    Valis

Souljah describes me exactly, must be psychic....

"...tatooed, peirced and dreadlocks"

Can produce Witnesses, or XWitnesses to that effect.

• JWinSF
    JWinSF

[1] Have had a piercing in the right ear and wear a stud, usually diamond, in it.

[2] Keep my hair very short [not that Earth-shattering, but definitely gayish].

[3] Have died my hair bleach-blonde or other shades of blonde for special events or sometimes when I just feel like it.

[4] Have gone totally clothes-free at nude beaches.

[5] Wear what I want to wear, not what some Organization says I should wear. Depending upon my whim, I'll wear a leather outfit, a "joe college" type of outfit, levis. AND, to this day, I don't have a single suit!!! Just a couple of sport jackets and dress slacks for when the need arises to be a bit dressier --- but almost never with a dress shirt and tie. Usually a turtle neck or something else instead.

[6] Have been known to wear outrageous costumes at Halloween, Pride Parades, and other special events. Here's a shot of me at the '98 SF Pride Parade [I'm the one wearing the white Angel outfit --- luv the shot with the Sister of Perpetual Indulgence in scarlet red].
    http://www.gayxjw.org/parade98.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit