My JW wife wanted to throw a costume party. Any advice.

by garyneal 28 Replies latest jw friends

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Not wanting to do the lame "Bible Themed" party, we had a 50's party, complete with a mirrored ball, a live 50's band and 50's dance lessons. The sisters bought or made vintage dresses and the guys greased their hair back and wore 50's cloths, leather jackets,etc. Some even brought their dates a corsage. When the Circuit Overseer came around we got counsled about it. He had heard about this one sister who came as Marylin Monroe (she looked awesome) and another brother came as Groucho Marx complete with a fake cigar. The Circuit Overseer said instead of imitating Hollwood Sex Goddesses and the like, we could have dressed up as Witnesses from the 50's and how they would have looked going from door to door. (No...I'm not kidding here) We just looked at him dumbfounded. You could tell as soon as he said it that he felt pretty lame, but he held his ground anyway.

The next time we played it safe and did a country and western party and had bluegrass music and hired a guy to call out the dance steps. There was a hay ride and bobbing for apples. It was fun but it felt like we were copping out a little.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

carla: "give it a new name!"

Good idea! How about...

Jehovaween

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Tell her to go ahead, if she gets reprimended by the elders is a good thing. Cuz who really cares what they say (maybe she will wake up) and if she doesnt then she got herself a fun party

• garyneal
    garyneal

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

We talked about it again last night and she decided against it because, "If I have to question my motives for why I want this party, then maybe I should not throw it." I can understand her reasoning as she is fighting with her conscious over this over.

However, I don't think my wife should forego enjoying life. I am going to take some of these suggestions and try them out with her and see what she thinks. Perhaps if those prudes do start acting funny all because my wife simply wants to enjoy life it may wake her up.

• carla
    carla

I don't think my wife should forego enjoying life.-- too late, she's a jw.

• Gayle
    Gayle

It really shows so many JWs really just want to have fun and have special days. When they try to make some neutral effort for something as a group to have innocent basic fun, they're soon finding it is threatening to the elders or circuit overseer and some kind of demeaning counselling ensues. The organization teaches them to fear life itself and they discourage celebration of life.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    I don't think my wife should forego enjoying life.-- too late, she's a jw.

My sister and her new hubby are having a Halloween party for adults on October 30. They asked me if I wanted to come. I did, but I did not want to come alone and leave my family at home. My wife has been doing some things lately that witnesses normally don't do, so I asked if she wanted to go. She was so so sooooo torn and she started asking me, "Why didn't you do all these things the first six years of our marraige? Why now AFTER I get baptized? This sounds like it would be so much fun and I would like to check it out."

I ended up buying tickets to a Halloween Bash for myself, my daughter, and my niece instead for that night. My wife indicated that she may want to go but she is still unsure. She was actually happy to invite my niece (her sister's child) to go. She's even went to a pumpkin patch and a corn maze with us.

I told her last year that she was making a mistake by submitting to baptism. That just made her dig in and do it anyway. Appears I am right.

• carla
    carla

I was just teasing you. She can do those things! go to parties, Christmas dinners, Easter dinners, etc.... she can just say you are the head or she is doing it to keep the peace and win you without a word or something like that. Mine goes to all the family holiday dinners though the first few years he was so weird I wasn't sure he should have stayed home! Now he is ok when at holiday parties, not sure how he would react to a Halloween party though.

• Think About It
    Think About It
    Jehovaween

Billy.....that is hilarious! On Jehovaween night JW's could dress up as bible themed vampires, witches & zombies and go d2d handing out WTS literature.

P.S. Some of the literature Armaggedon depictions would scare the hell out of people.

Think About It

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit