My JW wife wanted to throw a costume party. Any advice.

by garyneal 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

It depends on how anal the elders are in the hall, and how easily some can be "stumbled." We used to have dress up parties in the hall, but the elders put an end to them...even for the kids! "Decade" parties were "glorifying an era" , and "tacky parties" could be mean to people who dress tacky.

One sister successfully had a "Bible" party where kids could dress up as Bible characters and play Bible games.

Good luck! When I was young I went to lots of JW dress-up parties (in the summer) and they were fun.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Thanks for the comments so far. Some are actually quite funny.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"Victoria Secrets" themed Costume Partys..

Are alway a Big Hit..

............................ ...OUTLAW

• undercover
    undercover

Outlaw - Now that's a costume party I'd go to even under threat of being DFd...

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Can I come?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Tell her to call the CO for suggestions.

She might get away with having it Bible themed with the kids dressed as the favorite Bible story character. All the little girls can dress up like Jezebel or Delilah.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Everyone could go like adams and eves, before they sinnned. They could all pretend to be perfect people, like adam and eve started out. Wonder, if adam had a beard.

S

• 1Robinella
    1Robinella

Sorry but costume partys with a bible theme? Borinnnngggg. Besides everyone looks like they are in robes and no one really knows who anyone is anyway. DON"T DO BIBLE THEME PARTYS PEOPLE.

Around 91'ish I was invited to a graduation party at a rented hall for all the teenagers that were graduating. It was a chance for all the young people to hang out, of course, supervised...it was a costume party. We all had fun and everyone wore whatever they wanted. My friend back then wore the skin tight cat suit from batman, someone else was the joker, one couple wore the beauty and the beast costume. They had a costume contest and the beauty and the beast won. They played music, dancing, we had a water ballon fight towards the end of the night. It was great. Although some of the JW's that were not invited (on purpose, because they are uptight) were so offended that a week later they had a "special talk" about get-togethers and dressing in charactors. Funny cause if they were not at the party how would they know what went on anyway?

I say, have a party. Make it halloween. Obviously your spouse wants to do it. Why are JW's so afraid of the supernatural anyway? Again, it's fear that runs the organization. Good luck. I just bought some halloween decor today...woohoo fun

• carla
    carla

Just do what jw's do with all the other holidays they claim not to celebrate- give it a new name! our school used to call it 'book character day'. That way you could still be a witch, goblin, fairy, princess, whatever.......

She can still celebrate like all us evil worldly people while feeling superior just like they do when they are eating their non-Thanksgiving turkey, having family over on Dec 25th because everybody has off, and dropping unwrapped gifts on their jw childrens beds for no other reason than it just happened to also be the anniversary of their birth otherwise known as a birthday to the rest of us.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

Okay I have your "out" for this one. You do not throw a costume party.....you throw a "themed" party and encourage every one to dress up according to the theme! A Nerd Party is great. You could do a Noahs ark party and have the children dress as animals. A western party is fun you could BBQ and have little cowboys and prairie girls everywhere. Hawaiin party is good for dress and food. the "young ones" here did a really neat Crazy Color Party. It went a little 80's Everyone did awesome fun out fits. babies wore tutu's and butterfly wings, the idea no black or white allowed, and prizes for most colorful, fanciest, ect. My neice wore all white and brought markers so everyone could color her in!

Best of LUCK!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit