My Gay Experience @ 25 Columbia Heights

by laverite 39 Replies latest jw friends

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Sure, if you did it now there would be some who make faces. There would also be some who slip you their card and want to arrange a hookup. History has taught us about those who denounce it too strongly.

• moshe
    moshe

That was a good act, you put on.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

it must have been a little scary

I'm sure many of them are barely containing their inner rage as it is, they were able to siphon off a little of it in your direction. I imagine if it had been at night, when less people were around, that they might have physically attacked you.

• laverite
    laverite

Bro. Dan, I had never seen that video before! Hysterical!!! The Westboro Baptist Church is pretty bad news, I have to say.

• laverite
    laverite

For Bethelites who served in the 70s and 80s, leading up to the 90s -- how gay was Brooklyn Heights? I've read up on it a little bit, and it seems there were always a gay presence in Brooklyn Heights. I wonder if this wasn't highly visible though? I'm imagining that the various groups keep themselves to themselves to some extent in that area. I wonder, though, why did we encounter so much anger from the Bethelites? Because we ventured into their "territory?" It was very much a territorial thing it seemed at the time.

To those who have served in the last 20 years, has Brooklyn Heights become more gay? Have the Bethelites been "exposed" to the gays more? Do you see this kind of angry, hostile and frightening reaction happening today if the scene were to repeat itself?

My guess is that the Bethel Boys have grown on modern TV, have seen gays on TV, have had some gay "friends" in school, and live in NYC. Maybe they wouldn't care so much today?

Anyone who has any insight, please ring in.

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Brooklyn being in the great city of New York is not a country place. Many Bethelites come in contact with all sorts of people friendly and otherwise. Bethel has had its gay "problems", there was a great clean out in the late 60's or early 70's of gay Bethelites. It is surprising that these men who must meet all sorts of people both straight and gay on the city streets would be so stupid. The very reason they change clothes to walk from work to the dining rooms at lunch break is to give a good impression to the locals so this behavior goes very contrary to this but people are people.

• kurtbethel
  • Chip
    Chip

I was a closet gay at Watchtower Farms from 1985-90. Loved the communal shower in the factory. Seeing all my buddies walking around swinging their tools!!

• Scott77
    Scott77

very interesting reading

• Fed-up
    Fed-up

the term used often at bethel was NPG, Non Practicing Gay. Because being gay takes practice or something?

Seriously though, try being raised afraid of sex, vaginas, boobs, masturbation, naked bodies, clothed bodies, etc. and act like a red blooded hetero male. It ain't easy. Seriously, re read the Youth book (i hate that book)...What planet were these guys from?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit