My Gay Experience @ 25 Columbia Heights

by laverite 39 Replies latest jw friends

• laverite
    laverite

I haven't shared this experience on here before (at least I don't think I have). As many of you have gathered from my avatar (and from my big fat mouth that won't shut up), I am gay. I do have an interesting gay experience right outside of the Worldwide BOrg Headquarters of the Watchtower Corp from about 17 years ago.

I'd just started graduate school -- had just finished my first year. Was in NYC for a conference. Summertime. Was with a good (and very straight) friend of mine. We were hanging out and seeing the city together, and decided to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Eventually we wind up right outside of 25 Columbia Heights. I told him about the JWs and the WTBTS as we crossed. Of course, you can't miss the BOrg, it's so there! When get outside of BOrg Headquarters, he says "Hold my hand!!!" and without waiting actually took my hand.

He was super cute so I wasn't going to say no, even though we were right at the epicenter of my entire world and upbringing from 0-18 years of age. It was around that time that the floodgates opened, and tons of Bethelites were in the streets, everywhere. All dressed. We looked casual by comparison. But very clean cut.

The whole thing should have freaked me out. It totally didn't -- at least not yet. I was like, "Ok. Yeah! Let's do this." So we walked proudly hand in hand, two guys, very early 20s.

I knew we'd get looks. And we got a LOT of really awful looks. But what I wasn't expecting was the names we were called (the worst you can imagine) and the language used. It was clear they were Bethelites. I felt pretty sure they wouldn't attack but it got frightening. I started to actually wonder if we were in danger. They were very, very, very angry. Their attitude was like -- we own this place. This is ours. You're in our territory. You don't belong here. But my straight friend and I were in public. We weren't in any WT buildings. We were on public streets in public spaces, though in the area of the BOrg.

That's my gay experience outside of 25 Columbia Heights. I'm sure some will chime in saying we shouldn't have done that. But for the others, I hope you enjoyed my gay Watchtower experience. And if anyone remembers us from that time period, say hi!

• bohm
    bohm

Man, that was pretty cool of your friend (and you!)

To bad this was before youtube!

• laverite
    laverite

Bohm, yeah, way before youtube. Can you IMAGINE if it happened today and being put up on youtube -- bethelites being exposed like that -- their angry faces and language that was out of control. Total gay bashing minus the fists. It got crazy though. I have often wondered about the ones that were silent (there were so many Bethelites on the streets) and what they thought of their brothers' verbal attacks. No one stepped in or said anything. But I wonder if anyone was disturbed by the behavior of so many Bethelites that day.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Good for you! I'm not sure if I should be surprised by the reactions of those bethelites.

Were there any older gentlemen looking longingly out the windows at you?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

well done dude, you should have kissed to make it more believable.

Do it again an this time put it up online

• laverite
    laverite

Zoiks, hahhaha. No, no older guys. No sisters verbally attacked us. No older people at all in the streets. Mostly lots and lots of young brothers. Not all joined in. I honestly think that I was surprised by their behavior. I expected nasty looks. I didn't expect the language and the verbal attacks and taunts.

• laverite
    laverite

LMAO Cyberjesus! My buddy had no problems holding hands. He had plenty of gay friends and was totally cool. I think knowing what I went through in the BOrg and the fact that I was gay it just clicked and he was like "Hold my hand!" and just took it! It was all him. BUT, I can't see him kissing a guy though. Also, with the kind of attacks we were getting, kissing never entered my mind. And now, at 40, I'm too old. Today I'm a professor and I'll leave that to my students. As a grad student I even went to a Ku Klux Klan rally in the South to protest. As I am white, I wore a protest T-shirt. THAT was an experience. Also protested outside the White House as a grad student, etc. I have protested all over the country. Then I grew up. Today, I just want to raise my kids and keep them safe. Safety was less of a concern back then. Crazy times!

• Satanus
    Satanus

I can totally understand their hostility, not that i'm disaproving of what you did to those silly bethel boys.

"Today, I just want to raise my kids"

So, you married, i presume the opposite sex, since two men can't make kids, yet? Just wondering.

S

• laverite
    laverite

Haha, Satanus, no, not married to the opposite sex. Haven't you heard of the gayby boom? Since the early 1990s, gays have been having LOTS of kids. The gays I know have more kids than the straights I know. In fact, every gay person I know has a family.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

HEy I am straight but I ll hold your hand and wear a t-shirt that says "Love is for ALL" outside Brooklyn :-) or how about one that says "the annointed will lose their attraction to the opposite sex 2"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit