Comparing the old elder's handbook to the new...

by undercover 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• undercover
    undercover

As I've read through the new elder's book, something kept nagging at me about it. Then I went to compare one passage in the new book to the old and it hit me. I've mentioned it on a couple of posts, but I wanted to start a thread on it...

What hit me was that the new book was like an instruction manual to supervisors in a plant. "Here are the procedures in how to run the machinery" "The instructions for when the machine breaks down" or maybe like a collection of inter-office memos on company policies. What is acceptable and not acceptable for employees to do, wear, say, on the job and when to call Human Resources (WT lingo: The Branch).

Now, despite it's faults, the old book was typical WT propaganda. It actually tried to envelop the elders into the 'good ole boys club' by encouraging them and extolling the virtues of the their difficult task.

Then I decided to compare chapter titles. And that right there said it all. The so-called "loving provision" from the Governing Body is now a "legal handbook" from the Legal Department.

So I give you:

The OLD book chapter (unit) titles:

Imitate Jehovah, the Shepard and Overseer of our Souls

Loving Overseers Working With the Congregation

How Overseers Teach

Teaching at Congregation Meetings

Be Whole Souled in the Evangelizing Work

Help Your Brothers to Reach All by Evangelizing

How the Elders Work Together as a Body

Our Lovingly Heavenly Overseer Provide Counsel and Discipline for All

Overseers 'Ruling for Justice Itself'

Sharing on a Judicial Committee

Handling Cases of Wrongdoing With Wisdom and Mercy

Jehovah's People Theocratically Organized for His Hame

Under the Law of the Christ

And now,

The NEW book chapter titles:

Shepard the Flock of God

How Elders Work Together as a Body

Appointment and Deletion of Ministerial Servants

Assisting Those Who Are Weak

Determining Whether a Judicial Committee Should Be Formed

Preparing for the Judicial Hearing

Judicial Hearing Procedure

Appeal Hearing Procedure

Implications of Disassociation

Matters Relatedto Disfellowshipped and Disassociated Ones

Reinstatement Committee Procedure

Clarifications and Guidelines on Handling Certain Matters

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"A publishing corporation, evolving to SURVIVE." <------ Once you realize this, their game is mostly unsurprising.

• laverite
    laverite

Is there an equivalent manual for COs and POs?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Wow, that is striking.

• cult classic
    cult classic

So many chapters outlining judging procedures.

• sd-7
    sd-7

"The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away."

Ice runs through the veins of the Thought Police as never before. And I thought the changes to the songbook were bad....and they still are...but this is even worse.

-sd-7

• undercover
    undercover

I hope that some elders that recieve this book are disappointed in the format and the level of bureaucratic BS.

There's not much about "sheparding the flock" in the new book. It's a "how to" manual. Rules and regulations.

It might as well be the Rules of Golf for all of it's talk of sheparding and caring for the people instead of upholding the rules. "Don't ground that club in the sandtrap, Brother... it'll cost you two days in paradise".

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Yeah, but the only sections that were ever used in the old book were the rules and regs anyway. No one really paid attention to the other sections.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

ADDED::::::::::Taking to court any 'organization' whose owners are all JW's is grounds for disfellowshipping!

They added that, in the JC committee, my defense would be that isn't the WT a 'legal' entity, and not really the faithful slave or anything. none of that holds up to scriptures anyway.

• Lady Viola
    Lady Viola

Feel the LOVE!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit