Voting Pot Legal!!!

by free2beme 14 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I am doing my ballot and totally voting for anything that makes Pot Legal!!! California is so correct and being the first to push that. I want it legal, I want to see in on the stands as much as tabacco products. Now, you might now say "This person smokes pot!!!" The answer is, "No, not since I was much younger." I am just so sick and tired of all the tax money wasted on fighting it, filling jails with people who had it and people getting killed over it. Pot was basically made illegal because of a tabacco lobbiest. I want it legal, taxed and out there. Oh, and I also want prostituion legal for basically the same reasons.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Go ahead and do it. I voted yes to medical mj and yes to stem cell research, they both passed and it felt great!

• nolongerwaiting
    nolongerwaiting

Well, lots of factors were involved in making marijuana illegal, and few of them were related to public health. The two big political advocates for the original ban were racists ladder climbers and were financially backed by DuPont (which wanted hemp outlawed so it wouldn't compete with the newly developed nylon).

Lots of other states, including mine, are watching the CA vote on Marijuana. If they were to put legalization on the ballot here, I'd vote for it too. The war on drugs was lost long ago, and has been hemorrhaging lives and money ever since.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I am in OR, but we have a measure to open legal distrubition centers for those with medical cards for it. It is about a couple years behind CA, but headed in the right direction. Ever notice, states claim to be broke, but have an endless budget for fighting laws that the public votes in?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I think they should legalize it and put the same controls and regulations that alcohol has.

The money wasted by governments enforcing these useless and redundant laws cost the tax payers big time.

On the other hand they could tax it under regulation which would bring in millions of needed revenue.

Case closed

Who comes out the winner in all of this the public for they get money to spend on government services and

the users get lower prices because the product goes to the open competitive market.

In any case they could reverse the law down the road if its poses too much of a problem.

• free2beme
    free2beme

People always say, "Pot is a gateway drug!" I call that as BS, as I think it is only a gateway because it brings you in contact with shady people who have other things to offer. If it were legal, those people are out of the picture and the gateway is gone.

Have to say though, it does not help the 'legalize pot' group much. When the spokes people or those they interview, always are missing half their teeth and on SSDI. LOL I know plenty of normal people who enjoy it, that look like elders.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

It isn't the pot I object to , it's the stuff they lace it with..

And as with alcohol, you can get too much of a good thing. Moderation is the key.

As far as being illegal, that's bull.
    Same thing they went through with alcohol.

I saw a film clip a while back of police officers that had to burn a lot of it they found in a field. The wind shifted and they all got high..it was funnyat first but later a lot of them had to be tended by a DR..why was that?

Snoozy..who considers pot a drug and should be monitered as such.

• moshe
    moshe

The only way to find out if marijuana is good for society is to do controlled scientific studies. I wonder how many Nobel prize winners use pot? I wonder if people would like the cars made by autoworkers who could smoke pot on the job? I wonder, if California's economy will improve after pot smoking is legalized? Will pot smoker's divorce rates go up or down? Will college test scores go up or down after pot is legalized? Inquiring minds may soon have the answers.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The only way to find out if marijuana is good for society is to do controlled scientific studies.

Moshe, there have been a great many scientific studies of cannabis.

I wonder how many Nobel prize winners use pot?

Here is one:

"I inhaled frequently. That was the point."

Here is another:

We can add some other Nobel winners such as:

Richard Feynman (Physics)

Kary Mullis (Chemistry)

Some other smartie pants could include the likes of Carl Sagan, Sigmund Freud, Stephen Jay Gould...

"The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world." - Carl Sagan

Sagan was a user and advocate of marijuana. Under the pseudonym "Mr. X", he contributed an essay about smoking cannabis to the 1971 book Marihuana Reconsidered. [ 45 ] [ 46 ] The essay explained that marijuana use had helped to inspire some of Sagan's works and enhance sensual and intellectual experiences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan

also:

Did the Founding Fathers of the United States of America smoke cannabis? Some researchers think so. Dr. Burke, president of the American Historical Reference Society and a consultant for the Smithsonian Institute, counted seven early presidents as cannabis smokers: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, Zachary Taylor and Franklin Pierce. 41 "Early letters from our founding fathers refer to the pleasures of hemp smoking," said Burke. Pierce, Taylor and Jackson, all military men, smoked it with their troops. Cannabis was twice as popular among American soldiers in the Mexican War as in Vietnam: Pierce wrote to his family that it was "about the only good thing" about that war.

http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/7_presidents.html

"Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica." - Abraham Lincoln (from a letter written by Lincoln during his presidency to the head of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robbie-gennet/on-role-models-and-their_b_164387.html

.Here is the opinion of some other Nobel prize winners (Milton Friedman, George Akerlof, Vernon Smith):

On June 2, 2005, more than 500 economists, including three Nobel prize winners, issued an open letter that called attention to a report on the economic benefits of treating marijuana like alcohol and tobacco – billions and billions in budgetary savings and gains in new tax revenue.

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2010/10/08/the-economic-case-for-legal-marijuana/

I wonder if people would like the cars made by autoworkers who could smoke pot on the job?

Red herring. Alcohol is legal. Are autoworkers allowed to drink on the job?

BTS

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

BTS, thanks for all this info. Marking it for later debates.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit