Is this weird or what?

by 1Robinella 23 Replies latest jw friends

• 1Robinella
    1Robinella

The other day I was on the phone with my mother. She lives about 20 minutes from the rest of the family. She'll be 73 in November. Lives alone. I visit my mom every Monday, take her to breakfast/lunch. I am no longer a JW (not df'd) and one day I know something will happen that my mother will have to live with me or my sister. We want to take care of her and love her but when (She brought up this subject) "When the time comes and I can't help myself, the brothers and sisters will take care of me."

I told my mom that she always has a home with me and my husband (We have a modest home, enough room for all of us to live comfortably). I told my mom that we love her and that I would welcome her at anytime into our home. My mother said "The brothers and sisters would do a better job and support my beliefs, they would cook my meals and give me baths if that's whats needed." I mentioned to my mom that "No one would do a better job at that then me. Family takes care of family and anyone else would not necessarly want to do it. I would drive her to her meetings and pick her up but if she changed her mind I will always be here for her." Then I changed the topic.

What do you think about that? At first I felt a little insulted but not suprized. Too me she sounded bitter, angry and disappointed in her children for still not being a JW. She's an adult and can do whatever she wishes, but what would you have said instead? Please advise.

Thanks

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

It sounds typical to me. She'll get a rude awakening if her health gets worse.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

sooner7nc - you beat me to the punch ! ! My words exactly . . . !

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

My mother said "The brothers and sisters would do a better job and support my beliefs,
    they would cook my meals and give me baths if that's whats needed."

Ya right..Jehovah`s Witness`s are known throughout the community..

For their Charity and Soup kitchens for the Needy..

LOL!!..

When your mom really does need help..

Good luck finding a JW to meet her day to day needs..

It`s not going to happen..

You mom has an Unpleasant Surprise in her Future..

She`s lucky to have you..

..................... ...OUTLAW

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

You handled it just fine. She is deluded that any one at the hall will take her in. She will get, at most, help finding a nursing home.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Yeah, not. They would support her insofar as being nice to her at the meeting.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

Poor thing, her bubble will burst when she's sitting all alone waiting for these so called bro/sis to help her. That's when you step in and look after her, not saying a word.

Actions speak louder than words.

3Mozzies

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

My mom still thinks the "brothers" care for her...she is 81 and guess who visits her every week, takes her to doctor's appointments, takes her on vacations, does her shopping, fixes up things around her house, helps her with a little extra money? If you guessed the "brothers", WRONG ANSWER!!!

• moshe
    moshe

Did your Mom sign away her estate to the WT Society thinking she would be taken care of?

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

What you said was exactly right ......your a very loving daughter . It must have hurt to hear her say that ,but ....she was just venting her unhappiness that you are no longer a JW .

It is sad because when the time comes that she needs that type of care the Brothers and Sisters WILL NOT be as she thinks . I have heard Elders tell family that their faithful Elderly ones WERE their responsibility not the congregations . For yrs my Mom helped take single sisters and sisters with UBM to conventions .When she became disabled no one could be bothered to help her .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit