Do you say "Bless you" when some one sneezes?

by cyberjesus 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Do you believe it does nothing and still continue to fuel superstition?

DO you think it does something?

Do you think is polite? cultural? does it promote intelligent thoughts?

• bottleofwater
    bottleofwater

It's cultural...

Kind of like the wedding ring... it has no connotation today...

So why not say "Bless You" then next time someone sneezes. Ok??

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I say it on occasion, though I often substitute "geshundheit" instead 'cuz I think it's a little more clever.
    I'd say it's generally polite, a custom, a cultural thing and all that jazz. I don't worry about the superstition thing.
    Can the same things not be said about raising and clinking glasses?

V665

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I say, "Gross", just for the fun of it. It embarasses the sneezer.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I never say "Bless you", but I used to decline saying "thank you" when I sneezed and someone said "bless you." I would act like they never said a thing. The whole time I was doing that I never even knew why we were taught to not say it or thank someone for saying it. How old of a wive's tale is that? Most people who say it probably don't know the origin of it.

• bottleofwater
    bottleofwater

After being DF'd I'm going to be evil and worldly and say "Fuck you" instead. Oh I'm so bad!

The Society was RIGHT!

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

good point, clinking glasses is the same thing. it does nothing other than show joy or good wishes.

does the person saying bless you really care? is sneezing anything bad? does it mean you have a demon inside really? should we foster superstition practices or try to get rid of them and replace them with more intelligent actions?

why do you feel better when someone says "bless you"? because it makes you feel they care about you?

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

I say Bless You Because its polite and because JWs dont like to say it.

Hopefully, I'll say it to a JW and they'll get uncomfortable!

• cyberjesus
  • new light
    new light

I did when I first left the org, but now think better of it. It is actually pretty hard not to say it sometimes, as it is the expected thing to do. I don't feel a sneeze is an event requiring religious speech.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit