Some fairly alarming medical news in Discovery magazine - Nov. 2010 issue:

by james_woods 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
  • nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Back in the 70's I worked at a medical clinic and regularly the drug company reps would schedule time to meet with a couple of the Dr.s. They came equipped with a huge case of samples and an info sheet telling the Dr. what the drug was for. So the Doc would give the patient a sample of the drug for the noted ailment. Whenever I have a new prescription I always ask the Pharmacist to let me read about the drug in the Compendium of Pharmaceuticals before filling the script. It gives you details that are not on the little blurb that is often put with your prescription as well as details of contraindication. After reading all possible side effects you may decide it just isn't worth the risk.

• rowan
    rowan

Drug reps were not allowed in the organization where I trained, nor are they allowed where I currently work. I prefer to prescribe old drugs, not only because they are in the Walmart $4 list, but they are really well known and I have experience with them. I believe that not dealing with reps is becoming a trend in all big health care systems because of the stringent regulations they are subjected to.

• james_woods
    james_woods

It just empirically seems to me that back when I started this thread, there were constant TV ads for this or that prescription drug...but now the emphasis seems to be on TV ads for Law Firms advertising "have you or your family been injured or killed by this or that drug? - call us to set up a lawsuit".

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I had a horrible experience with the drug Cymbalta. It caused me to have suicidal thought and made me aggressive and irritable. Getting off of it was a four month nightmare. I believe the drug company, Lilly does not adequately warn patients of the side effects. It causes irreversible changes to your brain in only a few months. Bottom line, do your research before taking any drug, goggle your dug + side effects, read discussion boards. This drug is heavily advertised, obviously making a lot of money for Lilly.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

The drug commercials are so threatening and the side effects that you might encounter are disturbing

Recently having done the 23 andme DNA which is now only $ 99.00 for everything gives you your possible genetic sensitivites to a list of drugs currently on the market. So you can know ahead of time whether you're one of the ones that will die or have a bad reaction.

It's good to know

• Nambo
    Nambo

My husband and i once saw a tv commercial for some drug that treats toe fungus. Then at the end, at a lower volume, a voice said "risks include heart attack ,sudden death, stroke, liver failure, ,etc....." and we looked at each other, laughed out loud, and figured we'd rather cope with the toe fungus!

Wrote Aunt Bee

Heres a much safer tip that really works if you start getting nail fungus, Vicks Vapour Rub, that stuff your Mum rubbed on your chest when you had a cold as a kid, it kills fungus dead, just rub it in your toes nails until fungal damage has grown out.

More releveant to this topis, google dangers of flu vaccines if you are ever tempted to have a vaccine.

The medical staff are quite aware of this, but are under thier own pressures, recently 8 Nurses in Indiana were sacked for refusing the mandaterey Flu shot

• designs
    designs

I liked the news item that the current flu vaccine does not contain the strain for the current flu going around. James they are calling this current flu strain the 'Ferrari of flu strains' sorry.

• jgnat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit