Some fairly alarming medical news in Discovery magazine - Nov. 2010 issue:

by james_woods 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• james_woods
    james_woods

Expose article on dangers and misrepresentations of a number of new drugs - some points made:

1) - according to an Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality report in 2001, More than 770,000 Americans die each year from drug complications.

2) - care patients don't need of failing to give care that is necessary accounts for an estimated 30% of the annual health care budget - more than 2.4 trillion dollars per year.

3) - Avandia, the diabetes drug made by GlaxoSmithKline was subject to 42 studies and a 2007 report by Dr. Steven Nissen which showed it plainly increased chances of heart attack and death. The U.S. Senate Committee on Finance says the company knew about the cardiac side effects for several years before this report was published.

4) - In 2002 JAMA published results of a huge study, called the Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack, or ALLHAT, which showed that inexpensive generic drugs such as diuretics were just as effective as name brand drugs for controlling blood pressure. Eight years later, this study has hardly made a dent in the rate of prescriptions for expensive name-brand drugs for the same purpose.

5) - Many doctors do not understand the statistics for new drugs. Two numbers are critical - the NNT (number needed to treat) and the NNH (number needed to harm). For the statin drug Lipitor, 50 men would need to be treated for 5 years to prevent a single heart attack or stroke - yet they would all be exposed to potentially serious or fatal side effects, such as muscle breakdown and kidney failure.

60 - Doctors routinely prescribe antibiotics to treat strep throat for possible development of rheumatic fever. However, the NNT to prevent a single case of rheumatic fever is approximately 40,000 patients - it is a very rare complication. The NNH (number needed to harm) is only 5,000 due to the many fatal or near-fatal allergic reactions caused by antibiotics. In other words, 8 reactions - some fatal, would be expected to prevent only a single case of rheumatic fever.

The article does not lay blame into any one place - (Malpractice law,FDA, doctors, or the drug industry). But the essential tone is that many drugs, procedures, and treatments are either simple wastes of money or actually dangerous.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

This isn't really news, but at least Discovery magazine is attempting to educate your 'average' pill popper and doctor/pharmaceutical company truster - the word was out on Avandia quite some time ago.

If I may suggest, if any of you are able, sign yourself up to get alerts from your country's version of the Health Department's Alerts website - I get at least one ALERT each and every day about pharmaceutical products that carry increased risks, are being recalled or are in the marketplace without approval...

which is why it's best even to consider that aspirin, before you take it...can you do without it? Even aspirin carries risk.

• undercover
    undercover

My family doctor won't prescribe drugs until he knows other avenues are exhausted. Like he told me, "If you're gonna eat McDonald's and shit like that and then come in here and expect me to give you a pill, forget it. I'll tell you to join a gym and lose a hundred pounds first. If you show me that you're taking better care of yourself, then we'll rely on medicine to cope with the issues that your body can't"

Wise words I thought...

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Undercover, I like your doctor. Too bad I can't find one like that myself...mine is always wanting to write me prescriptions. I let him write them, then I toss them and look for alternatives...so far, doing ok! Don't even know why I keep visiting the guy...

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Are you saying that doctors kill more people than guns?

• james_woods
    james_woods

+++ on Undercover's sensible doctor.

BTW1 - I typed the name of the magazine wrong - it is Discover.

BTW2 - One of the several doctors on the Ferrari board pointed out that it is simply amazing how many patients (including parents of kid patients) try to demand this or that advertised drug just because they saw it on TV. He says he is glad he is not in pediatrics for this very reason.

• undercover
    undercover

I'm of the thought that you should do what you can naturally and then if that fails, go with a prescription.

Of course there are some ailments that require daily prescriptions. Diabetes comes to mind. Things like that can be helped with diet, but your body is not properly working so medicine is required.

The problem is that too many people have an issue and instead of looking in the mirror and saying, maybe I shouldn't eat chili cheese burritos for lunch everyday or red meat everynight or a bag of potato chips or whatever that is not good for you, they'll go to the doctor and expect some prescription that makes em feel better but they can continue with their bad habits.

And TV advertising hasn't helped. Can you go an hour without seeing an ad for a drug? "Ask your doctor about..." Used to be you had to find drug pushers on the street and buy drugs on the sly...now the pushers are on TV and their delivery guy is your family doctor.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    And TV advertising hasn't helped. Can you go an hour without seeing an ad for a drug? "Ask your doctor about..." Used to be you had to find drug pushers on the street and buy drugs on the sly...now the pushers are on TV and their delivery guy is your family doctor.

Absolutely. The one that blows me away is that prescription medicine for "chronic dry eye". Good grief - if you had this bad enough to go to an eye doctor, don't you think the eye doctor would know what to do about it without you telling him because you saw it on the 6 oclock news?

Another gross-out: I used to be an uncaring heart-attack risking jerk, but now I got religion and trust my heart to Lipitor.

Or the younger brother or big sister interventions: You had better straighten yourself up and start taking this blood pressure drug NOW.

EDIT - LOL!!! an ad just popped up at the top of this page on the board for a medicing for NIGHTIME HEARTBURN RELIEF...

• Violia
    Violia

You shoud also be aware that insurance companies ( who pay for your prescriptions) try very hard to convince your doc to use older drugs when newer more effective durgs are available. They also try and convince your docs not to order lab tests,mri, etc. They do this directly or by making it harder to order tests, eg, lots of exta paper work involved.

Recall recently in the news was mamograms. The new study suggested that they were not necessary once a year. You can best your front seat in H*ll that an insurance company backed that study.

Don't believe everything you read, find out who did the study and what interest they have in it. Take charge of your own health care.

• undercover
    undercover

The limp dick ones are best...

My doc laughs at those. He says they always show these fit, well-dressed, upwardly mobile kinda guys on the commercials, but it's usually the fat slob who can't even see his dick that comes in for the drug.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit