InternetBumperStickers.com

by SYN 17 Replies latest jw friends

• SYN
    SYN

Hi all, just thought I'd mention something that's been bugging me a bit, I've noticed that a few ppl on this board are using GIFs from InternetBumperStickers.com.

I myself have gotten some amazing little GIFs from that site, they seriously kick the llama's ass!

There is only one thing: those nice guys at InternetBumperStickers pay real money for the bandwidth they use, and when you guys link to their images in your sigs, that means that every unique IP that views this page (provided they are using an image-enabled browser) is going to download that image from their servers. You might think that these tiny 2K GIFs are nothing, but believe me, I was an administrator for a couple of websites, and the bandwidth adds up, and pretty soon you're paying through your nose for other people free loading.

The solution is a simple one: merely copy the files to your computer, find a server where you can stick them that allows public HTTP access to files you can upload to it, FTP them onto the server, and then update your sigs to point to the new image location. This way you can help keep InternetBumperStickers up for longer (as they are apparently rapidly running out of money ), and you can still keep your sigs.

OK, maybe I should stop talking now, hehe!

Take care,
    Derek

"I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone." -- Charles Darwin, The Origin Of Species, 1869.

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

syn,

oh now i feel real bad.....

is it okay if i just steal the saying like this?
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    v

not a RULES girls

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

okay yellow doesn't work so well...let's see....

not a RULES girl

• terafera
    terafera

okay sounds great but...

can anyone tell me of a site that will allow you to store your links on? I havent been able to find one..

• ladonna
    ladonna

I think that means me???

Can I load them to photoasa for example....or webphotos????

Thanks for info,
    Ana...

Manners require time, and nothing is more vulgar than haste.
    —Ralph Waldo Emerson

• SYN
    SYN

I think somebody here mentioned some a few days back...can't remember what the post was about tho...somebody asked for help about something. Does anyone know of people who have servers that don't cap their bandwidth like Geocities for us to put our profile piccies on? Maybe Simon could organize us a couple of kilobytes of disk space on THIS server? I mean come on Simon, the average size of these images won't even occupy an entire allocation unit on the disk drives this server runs off!

"I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone." -- Charles Darwin, The Origin Of Species, 1869.

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

webphotos takes only jpeg....

not a RULES girl

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

yeah, anyone know a FREE site that takes gif?????

closer

Solid stone is just sand and water, baby
    Sand and water, and a million years gone by - beth nielsen chapman

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

if not I guess I can use Adobe PhotoDeluxe to convert the gif to jpg.

Just seems like a lot of work!

closer

Solid stone is just sand and water, baby
    Sand and water, and a million years gone by - beth nielsen chapman

• SYN
    SYN

Closer2fine, the format of the image doesn't matter. GIFs are about the tiniest image format anyway - converting a GIF to a JPG would just make it slightly larger (probably - depends on the level of compression), but there would be no increase in quality whatsoever.

The only problem as I see it with GIFs is that they can only have 256 unique colours (they are palettized images) whereas JPGs can have 16 million colours. This can be quite a big difference!

You'll find that the free sites out there really won't care what format your image is in, provided it fits on their server and you have the time and patience to upload it, but this shouldn't be a problem, as the images I was talking about are so tiny they can travel across from your computer to the server in a single IP packet. That's fast!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit