Do you cherry pick your science?

by cyberjesus 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Cyberjesus asked, "Can you back this up?"

Here's one example. People think that when they turn the radio on, radio waves travel through empty space to get to the receiver. This is incorrect, because it disregards the METAPHYSICAL ASPECT of radio transmissions.

Radio waves CAN NOT travel through empty space; they would fall down and scrape their knees on the aether. To get where they are going they rely on buckets tied around the necks of invisible goats. An angelic goatherd guides the goats to their destination. There are myriads of these angelic goatherds and myriads upon myriads of invisible goats wearing buckets around their necks, AND YOU CAN'T PROVE THERE AREN'T!

It all becomes so simple once we become simple too.

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Interesting belief, Nathan.

What do you believe microwaves are?

Maybe they're particles attached to string theories and float our way by means of an invisible net in the solar system that causes time and place displacement. :)

• ProdigalSon
  • Farkel
    Farkel

:Why is that? why do some people cherry pick their science?

Because everyone knows the earth is shaped like a pizza. - Isa. 40:22

Science is simply wrong to say it is shaped like a sphere. Leave the science. Take the Isaiah.

Farkel

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Farkel,

"Leave the science. Take the Isaiah."

Exactly. You said succinctly what many have gone round about trying to explain! Beautiful! :)

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

"In the Bible, scientific knowledge is called "gnosis"."

No. It isn't.

"Gnosis" is a greek word for "knowledge," more specifically it "is the spiritual knowledge of a saint or mystically enlightened human being." Modern science as a concept did not exist back then. What you're doing is shoe-horning it into your definition in order to lend false legitimacy your supernatural beliefs. Gnosis is nowhere near the kind of knowledge it takes to create a cell phone, or cure smallpox. Science deals with testable, predictable phenomenon only. It is the study of the natural world. If it cannot be objectively tested, it is not science. End of story.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

When it's off, the signals are still there, but we can't see the picture. Does that mean it doesn't exist when the TV is off?

Yes, the picture does not exist on that particular TV.

Science has not proven itself reliable in everything it believes and teaches.

Science is a self corecting process for testing, learning and predicting. It believes nothing and teaches nothing. People do that. It is a process that moves knowledge forward.

Religion, OTOH, is a great way of recycling. Unfortunately, it a process of recycling one kind of turd into another. At the end of the day, you still have a turd.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

BEJW: did you compare WT "new light" with Science's new discoveries? oh you will get the wrath of the forum on you :-) My friend "new light" is based on spiritual revelations on a small group of deluded man. Science test its findings and makes corrections as new evidence surfaces.

People who cherry pick their beliefs in science do so as to not contravene their personal beliefs. Science goes against their God-given beliefs and they chose God Instead of rationality. The chose the bible instead of what we have discovered in nature.

Science discovered the harmful effects of mercury and it is my choice to allow a dentist to put an amalgam filling in my mouth. I want to know what FACTS of life we have learned from the bible that we couldnt find in any other way... Once we do that research, I wonder if we needed the bible at all.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

B_Deserter, your gnosis definition is pulled out of Wiki, it is correct and I'm very familiar with it, but true science, which is metaphysical or "spiritual", IS knowledge, and this gnosis you quote IS scientific knowledge. That's why, at 1 Timothy 6:20, "gnosis" is translated as "science" in the KJV.

Strong's....

G1108

γνω?σις

gno¯sis

gno'-sis

From

G1097 ; knowing (the act), that is, (by implication) knowledge: - knowledge, science.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit