Do you cherry pick your science?

by cyberjesus 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• cyberjesus
  • cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

All of us use science everyday, from your cell phone, your computer, your stove, your car. Everything around us is related in one way or another with science. WE DONT QUESTION if the cell phone is fact or fiction. We rip the benefits of science.

However when science contradicts religious or theistic beliefs most religious people stop trusting science and become skeptical of its findings.

Why is that? why do some people cherry pick their science?

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

When our TV is turned on, we can see the picture. When it's off, the signals are still there, but we can't see the picture. Does that mean it doesn't exist when the TV is off?

In the Bible, scientific knowledge is called "gnosis". True scientific knowledge must include things of a "spiritual" nature, in other words, things that are beyond the five senses of human perception. (See "Metaphysics") This knowledge has been suppressed and kept from the mainstream for thousands of years, for control and domination by the elite. They have brainwashed and conditioned people to reject outright what is beyond their perception as "science fiction". JW's are especially turned off to things like this because they view everything of this nature as "occult" and "sorcery". The truth is that once outside this 3-dimensional time/space continuum, we get the true meaning of what the Bible really means when it says, "with God, all things are possible."

For the real gist of what I'm trying to explain, google Plato's "Allegory of the Cave". I'm on firefox at the moment and can't post any links.

~PS

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Well since you mentioned examples of technology, it may be good to approach it that way - even looking at religion itself as a technology. When it comes to tech we think in terms of how we can use it, even in a recent thread an apparent JW elder apologist phrased atheism in terms of not being "useful" - which is a strange choice of words for a believer but it's rather telling. You would think something is believed in because it's seen as true rather than for its usefulness as some kind of comfort, which of course does not address whether it's true, and from many of our long term experiences, whether it even works.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus
    True scientific knowledge must include things of a "spiritual" nature

Can you back this up? or expand where did you get this info?

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

And of course, much of the reality may be that rather than using it to ones own benefit, the user may in fact be the used.

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Cyberjesus,

"However when science contradicts religious or theistic beliefs most religious people stop trusting science and become skeptical of its findings.

Why is that? why do some people cherry pick their science?"

On this site much is made of people using their conscience, their own decision making capabilities, and being free to choose for themselves what to believe and not believe. Now you ask, why some people become skeptical of some scientific findings, why they cherry pick? My answer is because we are free to use our consciences as our hearts and minds dictate and do not blindly follow every wind of thought in the scientific community merely because it is promulgated by the minority or the majority. We are free to disagree with the whole or any part of the whole that in our view is faulty! :)

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

BXJW: I am not attacking your choices, I am just questioning the reasons behind them. If everyday science has proven reliable why stop believing on it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlaCq3dKvvI

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

BXJW: I am not attacking your choices, I am just questioning the reasons behind them. If everyday science has proven reliable why stop believing on it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlaCq3dKvvI

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Cyberjesus,

Science is only as good and accurate as the men and women who produce it. Science is not a god. Science is a process of discovery that like the JW religion depends on "new light" to keep moving forward and at times also dispenses with the old light because it is no longer believed or has become outdated. Science has not proven itself reliable in everything it believes and teaches. At one time some scientists thought the black race inferior others thought it was a good idea to treat acne with radiation or that "no worries" pesticides will help feed the world and so on. I read recently that the rate of degradation of radiocarbons is not an absolute constant as many have thought. I can't say I agree or disagree but it is true that science changes and all we can do is enjoy what is produced while at the same time not slavishly believing everything we are told.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit