Latest SAD--More Higher Ed Bashing. Did you know it's one of Satan's False Refuges?

by Cadellin 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

In this economy, if you have a degree, you are lucky to have a job. What the witlesses don't say is, unless you happen to be Kenny Loggins or Billy Joel, if you don't have a degree, you are much more likely to not have a job (and these famous musicians got away with it only because they had musical talents and didn't need even high school to fully develop and market it). Truth is, you are better off with a college degree washing dishes than with only a high school education sitting in the unemployment line or collecting welfare.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Secondly, and this really get me, they are so desperately trying to frame higher educations as a money-question, but have they ever given other financial advice? They have never said: "Dont become a carpenter, become a mason, there is a lot more money to be made that way!"

That is a really good point Bohm.

If money was really the issue, then JWs should not seek any employment that would make them wealthy. We all know, however, that they know from experience that higher education developes critical-thinking skills> critical-thinking skills developes antipathy towards JW doctrine.

• Aurelius
    Aurelius

In the UK, HLC members are actually going into University Teaching Hospitals and delivering as part of the under-graduate syllabus a module on non-blood management. I was in total shock when I heard this. The GB actually sanctioning JWs to deliver lectures in the very institutions which they condemn!!

• JeffT
    JeffT

It was a talk about the evils of education at a CA in 1988 that got me started on research. A short time later she joined me in the research and we we stopped going to meetings within months. Now, here it is 22 years later and they're still beating that dead horse.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Thanks for the info!

After a program like that, I always like to add little questions like, "Do you think that brother would go to a surgeon that only had a high school diploma?" "Did you know that they will accept single sisters over 50 as Bethelites once they get their bachelors degree in law?" "Would I be considered lacking if faith if I hope this bridge was designed by someone with more than a Theocratic Ministry School education?" "We've met several people that aren't working in their exact field of college education, but do you ever remember any of them saying that they regret pursing higher education?"

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hey Billy,

I remember one Elder askin' me on a blood issue

whose advice would I take the Dr. or the faithful and discreet slave

no joke.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

"Did you know that they will accept single sisters over 50 as Bethelites once they get their bachelors degree in law?"

???? There's a Bachelors in Law? Do you perhaps mean Juris Doctor...a law degree? You mean I still have a shot at Bethel? :)

• Mary
    Mary

I asked Jim Penton once if he was harassed by the powers that be when he went through to get his doctorate (to my knowledge, Jim is the only person I know of who got a PhD while he was an active Witness). He affirmed that he most certainly was harassed, yet the second he got his PhD, the Society did not hesitate to use him to promote the religion. Ye Old Double Standard hard at work.

I was spoken to briefly by the local gestapo when I first enrolled in undergrad studies but since I was already 'weak in de troof', didn't go out in Serve-Us anymore and was already trying to do The Fade, they didn't pursue it too much with me. I mean---what were they going to do? Take away my privileges?

Here's a few memorable quotes from the horses' ass mouth over the years on the evils of 'higher education':

"...The school's [Gilead] curriculum of studies is a full program offering 26 weeks of higher, college-level training equivalent to one year in secular colleges or universities. After ten years, in January, 1953, the Watchtower Bible School of Gilead was finally officially recognized by the United States Office of Education in Washington, D.C., as offering higher education comparable to professional colleges and educational institutions."----w55 11/15 p. 684 Part 22-Gilead and Congregational Ministry Schools

"To follow in the footsteps of Christ Jesus does not require a training in a theological seminary or a religious college. If such higher education were necessary, then Peter and John could not have been apostles of Christ Jesus."----w63 1/1 p. 17 par. 38 How Strong Is Your Faith?

"...Some of the conventioners gathering there had asked him [Freddie Franz] about higher education. For their benefit and for that of all he said that, while a college education and its qualifications make one much in demand for higher-paid jobs in this world, such an education can be a severe handicap to those seeking life at God's hands. Not money, but God's favor to the righteous ones will deliver them at Armageddon. It is therefore better to serve Jehovah now before that battle and get godly knowledge now in this crucial time than to hamper oneself by seeking worldly higher education in universities, materialistically."-----w57 7/15 p. 443 Part 2-Rounding the World with the Vice-President

"...The influence and spirit of this world is to get ahead, to make a name for oneself. Many schools now have student counselors who encourage one to pursue higher education after high school, to pursue a career with a future in this system of things. Do not be influenced by them. Do not let them "brainwash" you with the Devil's propaganda to get ahead, to make something of yourself in this world. This world has very little time left! Any "future" this world offers is no future!"----w69 3/15 p. 171 par. 12 What Influences Decisions in Your Life?

"...All worldly careers are soon to come to an end. So, why should today's youth get interested in ‘higher education' for a future that will never eventuate? The colleges are falling into chaos, anyway. The essentials of education for a useful life can be obtained by studying well at high school, and beyond that there is also the ‘highest education' that Jehovah provides through his organization, preparing for a satisfying career of full-time service that goes on forever."---w71 9/15 p. 563 par. 17 Set Apart from the World

"...We are pleased that some highly educated individuals have embraced Kingdom truth. But they did not do so because of their higher education. Rather, they came to the realization that, in spite of their advanced education, life was meaningless because they were without God and a sure hope. Now they know that ‘not many wise, powerful and noble' have divine approval. (1 Corinthians 1:26-31) Yet, they themselves are delighted that, at last, they have found a real purpose in life as witnesses of Jehovah."----w84 10/1 p. 17 par. 12 Remain "Without Spot From the World"

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I'm glad my wife and SIL both continued theiur education. They basically grew up in poverty and education is a way out. NO thanks to the WT who discourages this lifeline out of poverty. One thing I've noticed over the years are the elders that cry the most how education is a waste of time usually have a greater amount of education than the avg JW

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

JT: "??? There's a Bachelors in Law? Do you perhaps mean Juris Doctor...a law degree? You mean I still have a shot at Bethel? :)"

It would be some sort of law degree that she got. And it helps when your family has $$$!

http://lawyers.justia.com/lawyer/erna-neufeld-1276727

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit