How Do You Get Someone Out? (Part 1)

by Mindchild 24 Replies latest jw friends

• cellomould
    cellomould

Hi Mindchild,

You have received some major traffic here! I really enjoyed reading this. Hopefully I can use these suggestions.

Long ago, I became frustrated and told my fiancee (or my recently ex-fiancee)"What you think is the truth, isn't."

That was pretty blunt, but she was really asking for it.

She told me in one of our last conversations that she still hopes I will come back. I hope I can remain somewhat in touch with her and share what's going on in my life. (which I usually have refrained from doing)

I see where I can be a better friend.

Thanks,

cellomould

"In other words, your God is the warden of a prison where the only prisoner is your God." Jose Saramago, The Gospel According to Jesus Christ

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Mindchild; Nice start, and mirrors closely the approach I think is most effective. I'd only add a couple of thoughts really...

One has to remember no matter how lovely an individual we might be talking to, they are in a cult, or a high-control group; I'm not interested in the semantics. This means as well as their lovely individuality, they have a cult persona.

The cult persona is the one that reacts in a virtually preprogrammed fashion when it has a button pushed. And it's very easy to push a cultist's buttons; show anything more than the most subtle level of dissent or disagreement, you are defined by the cult persona as an apostate, and they AND THE LOVELY INDIVIDUAL YOU ARE TRYING TO GET OUT stop listening.

As 'we' are the 'responsible party', in a position of knowledge and control (whereas the JW is a controlled person in a postion of ignorance), it is almost always an error on our part that results in the buttons being pushed; if it happens, it's normally because we made a mistake, pushed too hard, let our anger show, etc..

Of course, it is difficult to do this. It is difficult having all the responsibility. But it is the way it is.

And, as tonyend points out, you don't get someone out; they get themselves out. What you have to do is slowly drop in enough little logic bombs to wake them up.

These logic bombs are best if they have nothing to do with JW's; critisise other cults; JW's LOVE that, and maybe, just maybe, after you have railled about cult mind control when talking about the Moonies, and introduced concepts like milleu control and congnotive dissonance, their brain will realise that the same things happen in their religion.

Only when they begin to smell the shit will they look down and see what they are standing in.

The minute they actually listen long enough to see that some part of their faith is compromised is the time when they can begin to start leaving, although they might stay out of fear and conditioning EVEN IF
    they know it's not the 'Truth'.

Looking forward to the next one Skipper, oh Skipper, oh my Captain!

anewperson: Your approach would work best with someone who already has suspicions. Otherwise, you will just brand yourself as an apostate, and they will stop listening. Also, Leo Greenleas may have been a homosexual, but I am not aware of any proof that he was a pedophile; making unsupportable statements like that completely destroys your case.

A Witness troubled by what someone says will cease upon the merest inaccuarcy, and use it as an excuse to stop listening, even if the rest of your arguement is sound.

Everyone has the responsibility to get their facts right, otherwise they just 'prove' all the warnings given in the Watchtower about apostate lies.

tonyend; Good luck in your discoveries, but make sure you read a few science books too; the JW's version of Biblical truth you are finding the flaws in is if anything, less flawed than their version scientific truth, and ignoring this is unwise as it has rather large reprecussions.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• Yadira Angelini
    Yadira Angelini

abbadon: I'm impressed! very good advises.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

This was such a good post, I'm bringing it back up.

Hope you are still around, skipper.

Hugs,
    j2bf

• Yadira Angelini
    Yadira Angelini

Good, it's back! thanks joy2bfree. Best regards,

Yadira

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit