...Which Way is the Cat Going?!...

by OUTLAW 36 Replies latest social humour

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Towards the camera.....OM

LOL!!..Smart Ass!..

Is this Schrödinger's cat?.....cappytan

.....Image result for Schrödinger's cat?

Schrodinger's cat

Schrödinger's cat is a famous illustration of the principle in quantum theory of superposition, proposed by Erwin Schrödinger in 1935. Schrödinger's cat serves to demonstrate the apparent conflict between what quantum theory tells us is true about the nature and behavior of matter on the microscopic level and what we observe to be true about the nature and behavior of matter on the macroscopic level -- everything visible to the unaided human eye.

Here's Schrödinger's thought experiment: We place a living cat into a steel chamber, along with a device containing a vial of hydrocyanic acid. There is, in the chamber, a very small amount of hydrocyanic acid, a radioactive substance. If even a single atom of the substance decays during the test period, a relay mechanism will trip a hammer, which will, in turn, break the vial and kill the cat.

The observer cannot know whether or not an atom of the substance has decayed, and consequently, cannot know whether the vial has been broken, the hydrocyanic acid released, and the cat killed. Since we cannot know, according to quantum law, the cat is both dead and alive, in what is called a superposition of states. It is only when we break open the box and learn the condition of the cat that the superposition is lost, and the cat becomes one or the other (dead or alive). This situation is sometimes called quantum indeterminacy or the observer's paradox: the observation or measurement itself affects an outcome, so that the outcome as such does not exist unless the measurement is made. (That is, there is no single outcome unless it is observed.)

We know that superposition actually occurs at the subatomic level, because there are observable effects of interference, in which a single particle is demonstrated to be in multiple locations simultaneously. What that fact implies about the nature of reality on the observable level (cats, for example, as opposed to electrons) is one of the stickiest areas of quantum physics. Schrödinger himself is rumored to have said, later in life, that he wished he had never met that cat.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Can't tell, down?

But when I turn it upside down I can see evil faces on the front side of the steps.

Bloody WT are inserting their damn subliminal faces .everywhere

• Prefect
    Prefect

Its going down.

When a cat runs down stairs it raises its tail to keep balance.

As it runs upstair its tail stays low as balance is not needed.

Just expeimented with my cat. That is what she does.

She is a fit nine year old. She knows what she is doing.

Try it if you own a cat.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Mind = blown
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Theres a vote going on over at the Journal..

Down is winning by 10%..

Is the cat going up or down the stairs?

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger
    Up or Down. Whats the diff. As long as it gets the job done, Pussy's pussy!!
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Is it Cat's up or Ketchup?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I'm changing my mind from DOWN to UP:

The cat is most definitely up: CATSUP!

-

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2
    Oubillette beat me to it. Its down.
  • Simon
    Simon

If the steps are 'normal' then it's going down as already commented - the riser construction is clearly visible. Of course it assumes proper construction and not some cowboy builder who's thrown together some death-trap stairs.

The cat's shadow being cast on the very front of it also indicates a light source typically above which would also suggest down..

It's a neat illusion though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit