What Its All About - Lurkers

by Amazing 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Will Power
    Will Power

Ajax
    If I tried to explain particulars, I'd have to talk in code, and you probably wouldn't understand what I was trying to say. (typical woman)

But in a month or so I'll be more in a position to talk about it.
    Hang in there, there is hope. In the meantime lets hope these news stories get picked up on, that might open the door to background stories and help for people that are suffering.

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken
    What "it" is about (as distinct from how it should be) is a mixture of giving an honest witness to lurkers, who are to be encouraged at every opportunity, and also about the feelings and emotions of individual board participants who are themselves in varying stages of recovery - or of denial that they need to recover.

I agree with Focus and hope that the board maintains a balance between caring for the needs of both lurkers and board participants by providing information, emotional support, and a place to practice the skills we've learned.

Critical thinking skills can be honed regardless of what topic we discuss, and these skills will protect us not only from manipulative and coercive religious groups like the Watchtower Society, but from an environment dense with daily attempts to control our behavior and our thoughts.

Everyday Influence
    http://www.workingpsychology.com/evryinfl.html

Continuum of Influence
    http://www.workingpsychology.com/ethics2.html

Ginny

• Gozz
    Gozz

Another class of lurker that might be included is the JW who simply has access to the Internet and just types 'Jehovah Witnesses' into a search engine, probably in search of the Watchtower site...From personal experience, I can say what's on some apostate discussions board can reinforce the feeling of the innocent JW that apostates are demons.

• openminded
    openminded

I seriously think my mom lurks on this site. The same person who wouldnt let me play basketball in highschool(all that bad association ya know) now lurks on an apostate web-site. Hypocrasy in its purest form - how nice.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I think you should add to your list the elders who are trying to find their congregation members, or information about them.

I know of one elder who does lurk here. He isn't causing any trouble, and he definitely could. He has emailed to me, so I know he is here. He lives in my area, but not the congregation we attended, and was a friend of our family, in the old days. When I posted about my stepfather's death, he sent me a nice email.

"No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• Wren
    Wren

Lurkers or beginners can see it all UNCOVERED on this DB. Its about trying to deal with the covered over and mind control. It is important to not turn away those beginning their search. There is something to be said about civilized behavior.

I've been wanting to post for a while, since the beginning of my research on JW, on threads about this topic. My personal opinion of this DB, in particular, is its in the Expert catagory. Beginners hang on.

Its here: the best of research, bible debates, testimony, deep thoughts, compassion, advice, critical thinking and fun in a easy acess, open minded forum. There is also the human side of hot emotions, profane venting, arguments and making up.

Nevertheless, sometimes the Expert catagory speaks for itself.

another lurker

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Amazing,

Amen!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• larc
    larc

Amazing,

I know that you know that we are like minded on this subject.

Although we need to help each other, we do need to be mindful of those who nervously lurk. We can really help them or really hurt them by the way we conduct ourselves.

It does not mean that we have to agree on everything. It does mean, I think, that we can disagree with dignity. I see no reason why we should hurt each other over our differences. Honest disagreements are useful. Attacks on others are very harmful, in my humble but accurate opinion.

• TMS
    TMS

Sort of a ministry mindset. . . . Honestly, no one needs to tell us "what its all about"! . . . . Thanks, anyway

TMS

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Prior to me joing this forum I had a completly different
    perception of what I would find here. Of course I was
    influenced by the views of JWs who also wouldn't think
    of logging on here because their perception of this site
    is influenced by other jws and so on and so on. After
    deciding to pay no attention I began logging on and found
    out that this is exactly what it says it is. Somewhere
    for a large group of people to go and share expierences. Unfortunately most of those expierences are bad ones.
    I am very glad that I stuck it out here it has already
    added something to my life that was more needed then I
    imagined. Even though I do not personally know anyone here
    or share the same ideas as everyone I feel like I found
    a kind of (sorry 2 B corny)family that has been missing
    in my life for to many years. Thanks for letting me be
    here and have an opnion.
    plm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit