AUTUMN

by compound complex 39 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Today's sky is no brilliant blue but a soggy blanket of dull gray.

Its lofty drabness has acquiesced to the terrestrial, allowing the fall colors of the landscape to explode and bleed upward, outward, into the chill air. A copse of scrub oak adorns a knoll set amidst the newly greening pasture land. Elsewhere, tangles of blackberry bushes appear in numerous ten-foot clumps. Pity the lone tree that lies in the barbed approach of these invading strangler vines.

An ancient apple tree stands aslant a broken fence of peeling, faded white paint. Yellowing leaves shout their riotous hue to the complacent slate above. Its limbs have not been kept clean: smaller branches and the occasional watersprout festoon the lopsided tree with willy-nilly growth. Its saving grace is the ornamentation of golden apples by the peck that cling tenaciously to their place of birth. No one, apparently, has been on hand to harvest the robust sweetness of this delectable, non-irrigated fruit.

This arboreal specimen of Nature gone wild no artist, however skilled, could ever hope to capture successfully on canvas.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I stopped at a roadside farm yesterday... freshly picked apples...the smell of cinnamon and apple pie... Pumpkins sitting atop bales of hay....Ahhhh New England in Autumn...

Coffee

• cameo-d
  • coffee_black
    coffee_black

Here's one we go to every year...

http://thebigapplefarm.com/

I went to one in Bolton, MA yesterday in the course of my business day, but can't find a website for it.... The leaves are not at their peak yet... though, which is unusual... Fall has definitely arrived though... windy, chilly.. sweater weather for sure.

Coffee

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Autumn has always been my favorite season. We used to spend several weeks in Vermont on top of a mountain, a mile and a half from the nearest house. Ice cold spring water, the smell of wood burning in a wood stove... new mown grass.. the sound of wind rustling through crimson and golden leaves... apple pies baking in the oven... bacon sizzling in the morning... coffee brewing... soup simmering... reading, curled up next to the fire... painting the majesty, beauty and power of nature...sigh~

Memories... a lifetime ago...

Coffee

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Coffee and Cameo:

Your words and images are a beautiful addition to this humble thread.

Many thanks,

CoCo de l'automne

• tec
    tec

I've missed your 'voice', CoCo. I would love to be sitting in your scene right now. Autumn is my favorite time of year.

Tammy

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Dad's drawing of the old farmhouse we always stayed in

dad's drawing

My drawing of the pantry in that old farmhouse...

pantry

Coffee

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Dear Tammy, for your kind and reassuring words. I've been away on a "reading" assignment, at the lake. I'm back and happy to see you again!

Those are so warm and homespun, Coffee! I recall some photos you - I believe it was you - posted on a last year's fall thread I put up. I'm a huntin'.

Thanks again!

CC

• Quentin
    Quentin

Cannot share your images, living in North Centeral Texas, here we have Oak, Oak, Oak and hachberry. Lots of live oak, tends to stay green along with the cedar trees.

Will say, from now till mid Jan, this tine of year is my favorite as well( need my mouse, creepy little laptop ) Have fun, least I can sip coffee, enjoy too, on the patio without mesquitos big as Bald Eagles going kamakazi on me. Shotguns going off in th townlimits is rather frowned on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit