What Did You Expect to Do During the 1,000 Years?

by Ding 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Besides preaching to all those resurrected I figure until enough of them had been resurrected to know how to live without technology I would have to do a lot of teaching people how to make clothes, can fruits and vegetables (provided we could find enough jars), make candles, and learning a lot of new skills that most of us don't even think about.

Just what will we use for toilet paper?

Most of the things we take fro granted in our society might not be working - power lines down, no gas for cars or tractors, paper mills would have to go back to the dark ages, etc.

Just think about 1 thing clothes - we need animals or plants to get the raw product wool or cotton, shear it pluck it, clean it, dye it, spin it, card it, then knit, crochet or weave it into cloth so we can make clothes.

Food. till, the soil, plant it, grow it, harvest it, distributre it and find ways to cook some of it.

I thought it was absurd to think that shortly after Armageddon we would be living in houses with plumbing, power, fridges and stoves.

I always thought more along the lines of the aftermath of a hurricane destroying everything in its path or an ice storm taking down power lines, or an electircal storm that takes out all the power or fire that wipes out all those houses people were picking out.

I'm a realist not a pessimist. Those pictures were pretty graphic about the destruction that Armageddon would leave behind.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

The Stephen King movie "The Stand" comes to mind.

• The_Present_Truth
    The_Present_Truth

Great thread. Lady Lee raises some valid points. Most JW's don't consider the many, many, many layers of processes and materials necessary to have the modern conveniences that we have today. When you think of the vast amount of products, services, and capabilities that are dependant just on oil alone and the distillation of it you begin to see that there could be a huge gap after the Armageddon that we were taught about. After all, how many petroleum engineers are there in the JW Organization? Very few I suspect since higher education has been frowned on nearly as long as I've been alive. How about geologists? Any seismic engineers out there? I mean you have to find it, produce it, transport it, seperate it, distill it .... it goes on and on - and that's just one area that has dozens and dozens of layers.

I once put the question to my parents about this. I told them that if indeed the JW's felt that Armageddon was right around the corner, why wouldn't the brothers and sisters be making it a point, in a structured way, to have some brothers being trained as experts in each of the important fields that we'd need later. Have some working in paper mills so Lady Lee and the rest of us can have toilet paper. Have some brothers working and being trained in the solar energy field. Have some being trained in forestry and lumber. Have some in the mining field. Have some in the equipment manufacturing area. Have some in the foundry area. Have some in the boatbuilding industry. Etc ........

Now granted, there are at this moment JW's working in some of or all of those areas in "some" part of the process. But you'd need knowledge of the process from start to finish.

Oh that's right, God is going to take care of that when they need it. Right now none of that is important. The only thing that is important at this point in time is the door to door work and distributing literature for a billion dollar a year propaganda machine called the WTBTS. My bad ..... what was I thinking trying to be all practical and literal.

However, as to what I had hoped to do in the thousand years it would be some of these:

Build a boat and sail around the world in no hurry.

Plant a grove of Black Walnut trees, Redwoods, and Western Red Cedars that one day I would harvest and use in the construction of a handcrafted home.

Learn to play guitar and the piano.

Maybe give Job's daughters a look or two. They were supposed to be pretty hot. Wouldn't mind seeing what the "most beautiful in the land" translates into from the Bible's standpoint.

I wanted to spend time traveling Alaska - in no hurry. Maybe the whole western coast.

I've always wanted to swim with Great White Sharks. I'll do that anyway in this life. It's on my list of things to do. Go down in scuba gear in a cage and be face to face with them.

I was looking forward to using all that extra brain power that supposedly we're not privy to as imperfect humans. The possibilities seemed endless.

Oh well, going to get to as much of it as I can this side of the big nap. The other side will take care of itself. Or not. I'm not going to worry myself with it.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

By the end of the 1,000 years, I hope to have a PERFECT comb-over.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I plan on sleeping through the thousand years....very cozy and peacefully....under a nice tombstone.

:-)

-MF31-

• letsslatejws
    letsslatejws

I just thought that it would take us a 1000 years to get the whole earth cleaned up. We would become the greatest landscaped gardeners having got rid of all the concrete from thousands of miles of motorways... (where we were going to put it I really dont know) and of course each day we would grow physically younger day by day...

We would have been building our own houses (apparently as many as we wanted) and have swam in the lakes as often as we wanted.

Crazy really, but having no TVs, telephones, motor vehicles & musical pop groups would have been just as bad as the churches alternative of sitting around on a puff cloud in heaven playing your harp all day long...

• moshe
    moshe

Uh, find out which plant makes the best toilet paper replacement. You don't think the GB will provide Charmin toilet tissue, do you?

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has an explanation how jws will be able to build things without the building expertise; that holy spirit would miraculously put the knowledge in their heads.

*** hs chap. 4 pp. 69-71 pars. 26-30 Holy Spirit in Action upon Persons of Earlier Times *** Since God ordered Israel’s tabernacle of worship to be built, he backed up the construction of it. Just how? For an answer we turn to Exodus 31:1-6 and note references to God’s active force:

"And Jehovah continued to speak to Moses, saying: ‘See, I do call by name Bezalel the son of Uri the son of Hur of the tribe of Judah. And I shall fill him with the spirit of God in wisdom and in understanding and in knowledge and in every kind of craftsmanship, for designing devices, for working in gold and silver and copper, and in working of stones to set them and in working of wood to make products of every kind. As for me, look! I do put with him Oholiab the son of Ahisamach of the tribe of Dan, and in the heart of everyone wise of heart I do put wisdom, that they may indeed make everything I have commanded you.’"

Thus the master workman Bezalel was filled with God’s spirit.

29 With such an energetic force from the Source of all dynamic energy behind the workers, the construction of the sacred tabernacle and of all its furnishings was certain to be carried out to completion.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Since most JW's are janitors, and have become quite good at it, it may not take 1,000 years to clean up the earth.

LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit