Those who have Judeo-Christian perspective: Is Satan a poor strategist?

by SweetBabyCheezits 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

So supposedly.... the devil had access to all the prophecies written about Jesus, right? It was all "written aforetime" so he knew in advance the details that would help people identify the messiah. He was aware that, for the sake of God's will, Jesus would have to die.

Why didn't Satan just protect Jesus? If he's really an opposer, maybe he should've been more consistent in his opposition of god's will. If god's will was that Jesus die for mankind, why did the devil allow all of the things to happen (according to popular Christian opinion) that were predicted, including influencing Judas to betray Jesus? (Luke 22:3-6, John 13:27)

Why not ensure he lived to a ripe old age of... well, whatever a half-god's natural life span may be?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Satan, as portrayed in Scripture, is dumb as a sack of hammers. He challenged "God".

• bottleofwater
    bottleofwater

Why won't he just try to stop God's prophecies having to do with him from being fulfilled?

For example, just give up in ruling the world or just not go for Jehovah's Witnesses during the GT?

Or start earlier and just keep the Earth even more divided? I don't think Jehovah will interfere with Satan's free will.

In fact that would do much more harm...

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Or get Adam & Eve to eat from the tree of life before the tree of knowledge.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Ahh, good one, Sapphy!

That reminds me, why not eat from the Tree of Life anyway? According to Gen 2, only the Tree of Knowledge was forbidden, right?

"You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."

• Ding
    Ding

The same reason why a compulsive gambler doesn't stop gambling.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Thanks for your input, Ding. So are you saying that Satan, one of god's finest creations (originally), is so short-sighted and addicted to his own pathetic ways that he will do god's will instead of opposing it?

• designs
    designs

Maybe just maybe the 'Satan' figure is a literary device in Judaism, the Yetzer ha-Rah. Satan represents the inner strife of humans. In Judaisms periods of superstition Satan was conceived as real but without ethical implications. In Cabalistic incantations his name appears on amulets and talismans and is recited in one of the morning prayers.

In some forms of Christianity Satan is a cosmic figure who controls large portions of the world and 'Casting him out' becomes a ritual needed before the Second Coming.

• Ding
    Ding

1 Corinthians 2:6-8 indicates that if "the rulers of this age" had understood God's "secret wisdom" they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Is that referring to the Pharisees, saying that if they had understood who Jesus was they wouldn't have crucified him?

Or is it referring to the rulers and spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms (Ephesians 6:12), and saying that if they had really understood God's plan of salvation they wouldn't have brought about the crucifixion of Christ?

I personally think it's the latter.

I think that just as we can be blinded by our own pride or hatred into doing self-destructive things, Satan can as well.

Despite their great learning, the religious leaders of Jesus' day didn't understand that the OT sacrifices, Abraham's offering of Isaac, or Isaiah 53 pictured the Messiah dying to atone for sins. I don't think Satan did either. I don't think he comprehended that God's power is made perfect in weakness (2 Cor. 12:9).

• Billen76
    Billen76

Another view on the texts is:

Satan is the fear resting inside yourself, bringing up beasts from the depts of your unconscious mind. Satan induces fear which provokes you to seek safety by trying to gain control through knowledge and domination.

"Do you fear death?" What about trying to work on gaining eternal life?

"Do you fear powerlesness?" What about trying to dominate your percieved adverceries? Or just eliminate them (all)?

"Do you fear life?" What about trying to life and thus all potential dangers?

All you have to do is to give in...and let Satan rule you.

Jesus was victorious over Satan, absorbing all the pain and sufferings and mockering Satan could throw at Jesus.

And thus Jesus gift is: "No fears" if you believe, if you choose life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit