The Society, having lost its younger generation, now appears to be doing its darndest to lose the older ones as well

by sir82 40 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I don't want to come out and state the painfully obvious.........that he probably wasted a good 50 years of his life in this organization waiting for something that happened in 70 C.E.

A human life, not held in physical captivity, is never wasted, imo.

When he dies, you will be able to look back on the fond and not-so-fond times you had with him and he had with others. The same can be said of ANY human that lives a full life and dies of old age.

It was the long life of a sentient human, and it shouldn't be minimized by the decisions made.

-Sab

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

same thing with my parents. They got baptized in the early 70s and swore that I wouldn't see the first grade. As some of their grandchildren are graduating high school, my dad is retired but on a very fixed income. His advice to me is to plan like the system will last forever. If it doesn't, no harm. If it does, then at least I'll be able to retire and not be a burden. It's really sad to see these folks facing their own mortality after thinking for so long that they would never die.

I agree with you Sir. If they start to lose the 50+ "generation", the cash flow issues they have now will be nothing.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

A human life, not held in physical captivity, is never wasted, imo.

When he dies, you will be able to look back on the fond and not-so-fond times you had with him and he had with others. The same can be said of ANY human that lives a full life and dies of old age.

It was the long life of a sentient human, and it shouldn't be minimized by the decisions made.

-Sab

Good point Sab. Well put.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

The older senior-citizen JWs (the so-called 'murmurers') are probably the ONLY ones who are $upporting the religion. What happens when they are gone?

The older people (at least mentally, anyway) are still behind the religion - even if they are complaining because they never expected to still be in this 'old system of things' at their age. When you get old and your body is falling apart and you don't have enough money it is tough. We are in a declining world situation and it is frightening for everybody but ESPECIALLY JWs who believed they did not have to plan financially for their future! Too bad they bought this bill of goods.

This religion is truly a tragedy and I am so glad to be done with it.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

That is how I feel. Six decades with the organization, and all I've done is continue to bring all my children and grandchildren into this life. That makes me feel awful. Now the trick is to get them out while they are still young enough to enjoy the rest of their lives.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Fantastic, I hope that the older ones see this for what it is, the society giving them the finger. " you ungrateful bastards, how dare you murmur about the the fact that Armageddon is not coming as promised. Remember "millions now living will never die"

I occasionally assist the accounts servant in collecting the money and have noticed that it is indeed the older ones who are financially carrying the burden. Once they wake up and realize that they will die in this "old system" they will have to cut back on the contributions to just make ends meet.

The wheels are coming off of the bus. You can just get a sense of desperation at the branch level.

• VM44
    VM44

Does anyone know the name of the GB member that made the "murmur" comparison?

• Eiben Scrood
    Eiben Scrood

That remark is particularly callous even by Watchtower standards. It still blows my mind that they can bullshit the rank and file over and over again and get away with it. Aside from the apology Ray Franz managed to get into the 1980 Watchtower about 1975, they never apologize nor own up to the terrible damage they have caused people.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I'm tempted to post this on my FB wall:

Many older ones already are telling the younger ones how they regretted not getting an education, pursuing a lucrative career, saving up money or not having a retirement plan. The sad truth is that such ones are like the murmurers of Israel when coming out of Egypt.

"The beatings will continue until morale improves" - GB
  • Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Is this crap actually in writing anywhere? Or is it just from someone's notes who attended the meeting?

Is a recording available?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit