Facebook privacy settings are crucial to control your info!!

by WingCommander 18 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Hello Everyone:

I just thought I'd start this topic about Facebook privacy settings as I am seeing it come up on here and other forums A LOT where you have people who are on Facebook and then their JW family or friends are requesting to be friends with them and they don't know what to do!!

We are hearing it time and time again: you "friended" some JW family member, long-ago pioneer partner, etc, etc. That person then goes through your Facebook profile and sees everything you've written, your photos of you and your new life including holidays, partners, worldly activities, etc, etc. Then, all hell brakes loose and you are left wondering what to do??? Elders or a-hole family members snooping around, trying to make your life hell? There IS a solution, all the while maintaining your sanity and allowing you freedom to post what you want!!!

People, learning about every single detail of your privacy and account settings in the Facebook social network is to your own benefit!!!!

Believe it or not, you CAN have your cake AND eat it too!!! What do I mean?? Well, for starters in your privacy settings you can customize what people see.....EVERYBODY. From "everyone" to "friends", to "friends of friends", to "groups", etc, etc.

This is mainly accomplished by creating "groups" under your friends list. For instance, you can create a "JW Family" group than put your JW family into it, and then tweak the privacy settings so that they see NOTHING!!!! Hahaha!! Post all of the worldly holiday photos you want, the "JW Family" group will never see it!!! Just make sure the privacy settings are set correctly!!

There has been a lot of talk about people spying on people through their friends because they are friends also. Guess what? Adjust your privacy settings so that posts, photos, topics, profile info, etc, etc, is only available to "friends" and not "friends of friends" or "everyone". I believe you can also make all features privacy settings "group specific" so that only certain groups can see your photos, posts, etc, etc. You can get very specific about this stuff.

By not knowing the subtle nuances of Facebook's privacy settings you are only opening yourself up to a world of hurt. You can use these same settings to filter out co-workers who you may want to friend, but that who you don't want to see more private photos, posts, etc. Same with your application or Farmville friends. Just create the "Game Friends" group under your friend list, place them in there, and adjust the privacy settings so that they can only see your game notifications, nothing else. You could theoretically have thousands of people in such a folder helping with your games and apps, all the while they know NOTHING of your private life because they can't see it!!!!!

If anyone else would like to post some tips and tricks of keeping Facebook private, all the while "friending" people in order to not make yourself look like some isolationist, then by all means please respond and give us your tips.

- Wing Commander

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Great advice, and it works.

I have a "group" of fb friends called "JW" and they can't really see much of anything on my page. But they still can see friends I have, some of whom are very religious.

Every so often I'll be talking to one of my family members who hasn't shunned me yet and she'll mention that "so and so" asked her if I'm attending a different church now. They just want to find out a "yes" answer so they can have cause to DF me. Ha ha. Even if I was, they'd never find out.

Thanks FB Privacy Settings!

• mamalove
    mamalove

I need to research this more. All of my dubbies de-friended me, but you never know who can see something by accident.

If someone doesnt mind, try and look up my page and see what you can see. When I send pics from my phone to some of my photo albums, it says that everyone can see them. Please PM me and I will tell you what to look up. Thanks!

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Okay, I'm trying to figure out this "Groups" thing. I have 3 groups, A List, Family, Limited Access. How do I set each one up with what these groups can view? I'm having a brainfart, I can't find it on FB at the moment.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Great advice, but I have found in the past when FB makes changes etc sometimes my privacy settings are "reset" (IE: everyone has the potential to see your wall/photos etc.) and I need to go back in and make adjustments. Just an FYI, technology is awesome but there is always a hiccup somewhere.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I let everyone see my FB.

It feels great walking away not caring about DF or DA or anything.

Let em see how the World had eaten me up and left me for dead just yearning to crawl my way back to the Loving Arms of the Brothers and Sisters..... NOT!!!!!

Oh Look the World is Fun Xmas IS FUN Hey Birthdays are ..... ok I hate the Birthday thing..... but I still blow out the Candles. Have no Idea why the BD thing doesn't agree with me. Halloween is Fun...... Love the Demons. Satans Night= fun times!!!

• sherah
    sherah

bumping

• Violia
    Violia

There is also the limited profile feature. It limits that person to be able to see only mutual friends and your posts . At least that is what it says it does.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Wing, I had this problem too. We were new to face book and some witness family requested us as friends, next thing you know the gossip up and down the eastern seaboard went crazy about one kid going to prom and the other one playing sports etc. Then a friend (lowleymindedwoman) turned me on to blocking. So i found someone from our circuit that had like 483 friends, and went through and blocked all of them and all of their friends too, I think I covered the whole circuit! They don't know they were blocked and when they try to bring up your name absolutely nothing comes up as if you don't have an acct. Even if you have friends in common they can see nothing about you or you comments and you cannot see theirs. Beautiful!!! NMKA

• bottleofwater
    bottleofwater

I made up privacy lists. Especially since I'm not out to everyone and I don't plan to, I have my "Interested In" only for the JWs group.

Also when I do certain wall posts, I choose the privacy (the little lock button with the arrow) button, and click Customize.

I type in JWs into the Exclude from section. And that's it.

I wrote "My parents should just fuck off." once and I made the JWs group not be able to see it.

No problems yet regarding that post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit