icon - 1919 gravesite visit!

by seenitall 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• seenitall
    seenitall

Little known facts about the gravesite and monuments of Russell in PA.

This is from the convention program - 1919 ISBA Convention Report held in Pittsburgh

Note how you could get a chip of granite!

Pyramid memorial planned for Bethel Gravesite

Pastor Russell's grave

AT THE GRAVE

On Monday, a party of about 150 was conducted by Brother Bohnet to the grave of Brother Russell. Upon a hillside, sloping towards the south, we joined hands around the grave and sang:

"Blest be the tie that binds
    Our hearts in Christian love;
    The fellowship of kindred minds
    Is like to that above.

"Our glorious hope revives
    Our courage every day,
    While each with expectation strives
    To run the Heavenly way."

One last lingering look upon the scene recalled the peaceful manner of our Pastor's "passing beyond the vail." Brother Rutherford's words came to mind: "I am glad this prison experience was reserved for us, rather than for our dear Brother Russell."

We visited the marble works and there watched the workmen slowly but surely chisel out the monument to be erected as a memorial to the Society.

The Watch Tower Society burial lots in Rosemont United Cemeteries, five miles due north of Pittsburgh City, contain ample grave space for all the members of the Bethel family, and the Pilgrims and their wives — in all more than 275 adult graves. In the exact center of the Bethel lot will be erected diagonally the Pyramid Shape Monument as designed by Brother Bohnet, and accepted by Brother Russell as the most fitting emblem for an enduring monument on the Society's burial space. The size of this structure is nine feet across the base, and its apex stone is exactly seven feet above the ground surface level. It rests upon a concrete foundation five feet deep and heavily reinforced with barbed wire, the work of Brother Bohnet, who would not entrust this important task to anyone else, so we are assured the job was well done. The brother gave a full description of the securing of the rock material (after fruitless attempts extending over a period of about five years) at the time he piloted the conventionists to the cemetery and urged us to help ourselves to souvenir chips in the shop of the granite worker near by.

These monster blocks of pink (Brother Russell's favorite tint) granite were brought all the way from Granite Mountain Quarries, near Marble Falls City in Texas, upon a special flat car, and are said to be about 95 per cent flint rock.

Each slope of the pyramid will face one of the large lots and on each of these slopes is cut in four-inch embossment a Teacher's Bible, on the pages of which will appear the names of the ones buried there. The burial space for Brother Rutherford was indicated and his name, like that of Brother Russell, will be at the top of opposite Bible pages. A Bible space being set apart for the Pilgrims — all in one lot of forty-eight grave space, so all their names will appear on the same Bible.

Above the Bibles are spaces for inscriptions in full, W. T. B. & T. S., I. B. S. A., "Dead with Christ," "Risen with Christ," etc. And above these the Cross and Crown and Wreath, and the whole capped with the apex stone, highly polished — its shape of course being pyramidal.

Within the structure, incased in a block of granite, will be a sealed metal box in which is a complete set of Karatol Scripture Studies, the Memorial Tower, and one of every tract, photographs of Pastor Russell, a copy of the Society's charter, and many other things to interest the people who at some future date may open the pyramid and find them.

Brother Wm. B. Hurst, of Pittsburgh, who was assistant superintendent of the United Cemeteries under Brother Bohnet's general charge, will have the care of Brother Russell's grave in the pilgrimage absence of Brother Bohnet. It is expected the monument will be in place before the next Decoration Day. Any truth people desiring a chip of the stone may send postage enough to carry a piece about the size of an egg, with enough additional to pay the Society for the trouble of having it wrapped for the mail. Best for class members to order collectively.

"Long, long be my heart
    With such memories filled,
    Like the vase in which roses
    Have once been distilled.

"You may break, you may shatter
    The vase if you will,
    But the scent of the roses
    Will cling to it still."

• seenitall
    seenitall

The text even mentioned what was contained within the pyramid - they are so proud of this!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Wow!!!!

It's hard imagine why Jesus would choose then to represent Jehovah's interest on Earth in 1919.

Oh yeah almost forgot - he didn't!

• seenitall
    seenitall

Did you catch the tidbit that Rutherford was to be buried there also?
    We know he was buried at Staten Island or some thing at Beth-Sarim.
    Strange thinking back then.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I once read on the internet that the WTS had opened the pyramid in the 1980's and removed 'undisclosed items'.

George

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I once read on the internet that the WTS had opened the pyramid in the 1980's and removed 'undisclosed items'.

Uhhh, that would be panties.

• Whitefox
    Whitefox

Matthew 7:15 says you can't gather figs from thistles. If Russell was a Mason involved in pyramidology, then how can truth stem from him in light of this scripture? Likewise the WTBTs more modern involvements in contributing to the US war effort via Rand corp and their sneaky ties with the UN that they only renounced after being exposed by the Guardian. Add to that the veneration of the WTBTS, insisting that children who are victims of sexual abuse must not go to secular authorities even after their local congregations refuse to to adequately deal with it, claiming it would bring reproach on Jehovah's name (aka WTBTS would lose members, hence revenue), when the real reproach was brought about by the perps and the society itself. Just goes to show, superior doctrine means jack.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Lets remember the whole idea of bringing reproach on Jehovahs name is basically being concerned with image rather than substance. If it's about the truth it's simple: IT HAPPENED. If the organization can't admit and own up to fault then what business does it have to teach things like humility and repentence? Nice model for denial though.

• reslight2
    reslight2

Bohnet claimed that the pyramid monument was, at least as written in 1919 Report, "accepted by Russell." Nothing in Russell's own writings ever mention such a monument, thus I have my doubts that Russell ever actually approved such a monument.

Rutherford's monument, however, has absolutely nothing at all to do with the Freemasons organization; Russell was never a member of the Freemasons orgnization, and, as far as I know, neither was Rutherford. The Biblical study of the Great Pyramid has nothing at all to do with the Freemason's organization, nor with spiritism, astrology or demonic occultism.

Russell and Pyramidology

Russell and the Freemasons

• Farkel
    Farkel

For a man so eager to get ushered into Heaven, I find it strange that he bothered so much to make himself memorialized on earth after his death. I mean, what was the deal with the toga, anyway? Why would he even care about a stupid toga, when he was facing the imminent prospect of being Jesus Christ's main buddy in heaven?

It makes me wonder if Chuck even believed his own bullshit.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit