then and now 40 years later

by bigmac 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Since the JW religion is constructed out of mostly fear, ignorance and superstition

not to mention a good portion of corruption, its construct was pliability weak.

The 60's brought on an infusion of social awareness and an progressive interest that things needed to change

in society , religion in itself was seen as too oppressive and dogmatic to coincide with this social revolution.

The WTS. always had elements of protectionism built into the organization, it seems as the corporation grew

more stringent rules were developed and implemented to take descenders out of the picture as they say.

Interesting thing is there are now millions of people around the world who had have had some degree of association

with this organization, increasing every year, now we have the inter-net to use to express are experiences and

grievances.

• bigmac
    bigmac

@ y knot

"I see some let up now that he is gone but not anything major until after 2014-15"

would you like to say more about this?

• bigmac
    bigmac

@ scarred for life:

"You just thought it was OK because it's all you knew as a child."

so so true: it had to be right because we were in it.

it was only when i grew up & started to think" just because i am in, doesn't necessarily mean it IS right"

• bigmac
    bigmac

When i chose to leave the religion, the core reason was i had realised i simply did not believe in god.

therefore whatever the WT society demanded was irrelevant.

i have not had a bible in my house for 30 years, & when i see bible quotes on this site i skip them;

i do not want to read them, and more importantly, i dont want to read someones opinion of what that scripture may or may not mean.

----------------------

a question though, back in my jw days we had "servants"- each with a specific job--i was magazine/territory servant.

now with the elder business--do they each have a job, or are there "spare" ones with no specific responsibilities?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Depends on the size of the body. In sdome congregations there are "elders without portfolio".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit