Getting a lesson in political correctness

by keyser soze 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Kinjiro
    Kinjiro

Canadians....is FROSTBACKS politically correct?

• Mary
    Mary

Uh....well, I've never been called a Frostback before, but sure......go for it.

• Terry
    Terry

It has been my understanding that the term "Negro" is no longer correct.

Can "Mexican" be far behind?

At the bottom of this pile must be the desire to be seen as a person or individual rather than as a race or nationality.

Go figure.

From Wiki:

The word Negro is used in the English-speaking world to refer to a person of black ancestry or appearance, whether of African descent or not, prior to the shift in the lexicon of American and worldwide classification of race and ethnicity in the late 1960s. The word "negro" means "black" in Spanish and Portuguese, from the Latinniger ("black") and Greek Ν?γρος Négros ("black").

The usage was accepted as normal, even by people classified as Negroes, until the Civil Rights movement. One well-known example is the identification by Martin Luther King, Jr. of his own race as 'Negro' in his famous speech I Have a Dream.

During the American Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s, some African American leaders in the United States objected to the word, preferring Black, [ 1 ] because they associated the word Negro with the long history of slavery, segregation, and discrimination that treated African Americans as second class citizens, or worse.

The term "Negro" is now widely considered to be obsolete, and it is not commonly used. It is still used in some historical contexts, such as in the name of the United Negro College Fund. [ 2 ] [ 3 ] and the Negro league in sports.

Modern language uses: Black; additionally, Black African for people native to the African continent, and African American for people in U.S.A..

"Negro" superseded "colored" as the most polite terminology, at a time when "black" was more offensive. [ 4 ]

The United States Census Bureau announced that Negro would be included on the 2010 United States Census, alongside "Black" and "African-American," because some older Black Americans nevertheless self-identify with the term. [ 5 ] [ 6 ] [ 7 ]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit