Did you feel you missed out as a JW kid/teenager?

by BlackTwisted 12 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackTwisted
    BlackTwisted

I am not gonna lie, i know i did somewhat, and here's my story of it.

I remember my mom and her girl-friend (yes, she WAS bi-sexual, her GF was a lesbian.) and my mom's Gf..um..let's call her Jill (not her real name) was very..well, not very but was somewhat strict almost over everything, i remember i couldn't evfen watch that 70's show! (best comedy ever man) but yet, i saw her watching an R-rated movie and it was okay for her, but it wasn't okay for me to watch something that had sexual humor in it.

as for school, she said i wasn't even suppose to be celebrating holidatys or have parties,so i started to feel horrible and stuff. so i was an outcast-but it wasn't long before my mom stepped in (i love you mom <3) she said i could go to parties and stuff, (i could go to b-day parties sometimes if my mom knew the parents of my friends) and i no longer felt alone, better yet, when my mom laid off the restrictions that her Gf had made the rules about. i felt good, and i started to have friends,sure they knew about my religion (JW) but we never let religions come in between our friendships.

But Jill was getting very smart, convincing my mom that i couldn't hang with my friends who were non-JWs, and things, so of course, my mom fell for it, so there i was again, in 3rd grade, alone. but it wasn't until 4th grade, i begin to make smart moves like not telling which day the holidays were on, and stuff, but i then felt so guilty, so i told my mom about it, she didn't lecture me about it because she knew that i was feeling very lonely.So she again called off the restrictions, this time, she was giving me her restrictions, which wasn't much.

i am now 15, my mom broke up with her and is trying to get right with Jehovah, however, she still isn't restrictive too much. not to mention she has a loooong way to go before she's even a JW. so idk if i'm suppose to be happy, or feel bad...well, for now i am happy.

but enough about me. tell me about your story/experiences and how did you feel about it.

Thanks,

love, BT. ^_^

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

It's all water under the bridge to me. I don't care anymore. I don't see the point of regretting the past, because you can't change it...

V665

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

I certainly didn't miss out. All the kids knew me as the Jehova boy who won't punch back if you hit him. Aaaaaah, we'd all laugh at how Jehova boy got tripped up and his books all ended up in a puddle and his trousers had big holes in the knees and blood etc. The kids would all talk about the funny stuff they saw on TV, which Jehova boy couldn't watch because it was worldly and had swear words in it. Jehova boy was so shielded that he didn't know the difference between Birthdays and Christmas. Jehova boy was bright though, he got to do all the other kids' homework or else he'd end up in a heap of blood and snot. Jehova boy grew up and learned to hide the bitterness, and he felt good, coz he knew that his tormentors would soon be bird-food. Except that what he believed was a crock drummed into his soft brain by his softer-headed mother.

It WAS character building, I have to say.

• Liberty93
    Liberty93

No, because I did alot of it anyway. I mentally seceded from the Witnesses when I was 13 or 14.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

No but I missed out on a lot as an adult...

Stuck in a religion that didn't allow you to grow as a person. Always telling you how you should feel and how you should act, how you should raise your kids, how you should treat your husband, how you should let others walk all over you to please Jah, how you should be NO part of the world you live in..sad.

I guess that is why so many announce that "They are free" when they finally take the stand to leave the JW religion.

Snoozy

• Gregor
    Gregor

Being brought up in a dyed-in-the-wool cult, JWs, I now look back at the isolation from my school mates and the community as a negative in my upbringing. The most important and long lasting loss was my education. Not just the attitude of unimportance during my 1-10 grades (yes, I dropped out with total family encouragement to do so) but the entire outlook towards a future in "this system of things".

This a bad organization. It is basically a parasite on its members and has created an atmosphere of isolation which it enforces for the protection of its own ends.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Hell no. I did almost all of it anyway when I got a little older. I do wish I could have played football though. My big ass might have been good at it.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yes, I felt very very sorry for myself when Halloween candy made the rounds at school and all those Christmas and birthday parties when I had to go to the library or just sit outside the classroom like a bad kid.

Now, I celebrate everything I can. I feel so cheated out of a normal and loving childhood because of having to be separate from the world.

It was so boring because nothing was replaced with an equally fun thing, or anything at all.

It was like eternal punishment to see such beautiful celebrations and not be able to do them, too.

Hated it!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Haha!! Your mom is a BI-Sexual JW, and they wouldn't let you do what you wanted? Can you say, HYPOCRITES??? I have reported them to the Elders immediately, and then proceed to do what I want.

What a messed up situation to be in!!! Hahahahahahahahaa!! What a mind-f*ck!!!

Myself, I was a prisoner from birth up to age 16 when I got my license. I wasn't allowed to play with my neighbours, go to ANY extra-cirrucular events, dances, sports, NOTHING. Just to and from school, and then to the meetings. It didn't help that my parents my isolationist introverts who didn't do anytthing either, so I didn't go to an amusement park, or even a movie theater until I was 16. Of couse, the JW's never invited me or my family to be involved in anything as well, so it was pure hell. Like I said, I was a real prisoner for the first 16 years of my life. Never again!!!

- Wing Commander

• designs
    designs

I was fortunate to be in a congregation with 30 other teenagers all going through High School together so we had our ownparties, went camping and surfing together, and played football with other LA congregations. Those were the fun times. Looking at graduation and the options open to us is where it all came crashing down. No college, pioneering for approval and to avoid the draft. Many married young, 18-20 years of age, those marriages almost all ended in divorce.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit