Active posters: What education have you had, what degrees do you possess?

by EndofMysteries 76 Replies latest jw friends

• Magnum
    Magnum

Thanks to JWdom, I left school and started pioneering because the end of the world was imminent. I was working on two bachelor's degrees simultaneously. I actually had enough hours to get one of the degrees, but was missing a few courses. I don't want to reveal my majors because some JWs are aware of them. However, I can reveal some courses I took.

In addition to standard core curriculum courses like history, English, humanities, etc., I took two years of calculus, differential equations, advanced calculus, prob & statistics, linear algebra. a year of calculus-based general physics, about a year of advanced physics, mathematical physics, two years of chemistry (one year general & one year organic), and a year of biology.

adjusted knowledge: Though I think credentials are important and add weight to a person's argument, I also think a well read person with life experience is just as qualified

I thoroughly agree with that, and I might add that sometimes those who are well-read and self-taught can be more qualified. It all depends on the individual. I've known college graduates who couldn't split a simple recipe. I've known many who have nowhere near the knowledge, reasoning skills, and insight of many of this board who don't have degrees.

That's not to belittle universities and degrees. I love learning and would love to go back to school. I just think that what's most important is one's desire and ability to learn and the effort he puts forth. Of course, there are some fields, such as nursing, that require degrees. But there are other fields, such as math and physics, in which one could be entirely self-taught and still make great contributions to the fields.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Bachelor of Arts (3 yr) degree - Psychology.

Bachelor of Fine Arts (4 year) - Photography.

Masters of Fine Arts - Intermedia.

...and a well-earned but unawarded 'doctorate' degree in survival.

• bafh
    bafh
    I have 100 credits and am going back to finish my BA with a major in Social and Behavioral Studies with a minor in Management and Organizational Leadership. Will graduate in Dec 2016. Then apply to a Master's program in Vocational Rehabilitation and Counseling.
  • fleshyheadedmutant
    fleshyheadedmutant
    When I realized that the end was not imminent, and the WTS was full of baloney, i went to college and got a degree in History. i teach fifth grade now. I highly recommend an education. Knowledge is freeing. I love to learn.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

AA in General Studies

BS in Early Childhood and Special Education with teacher certification from birth through grade 6

6 credits coursework in Master's of Education, undeclared concentration

• steve2
    steve2

Bachelor of Arts (Sociology/Psychology) 1993

PhD in Psychology 1999

Post-Graduate Degree in Clinical Psychology 2000

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

AA in Social and Behavioral Science

AA in Liberal Arts

BA in Egnlish

and various certificates

• JeffT
    JeffT
    Magnum, are going to finish the degrees? I got my BA just before I became a dub. That resulted in my turning down a chance to get an MA in education. If I had not gone back later to study Business I would seriously regret that. As it was, I feel like I finished my education. (and took some heat in my congregation for doing so).
  • Simon
    Simon

I got a BSc in Computer Science since leaving the WTS.

Also, a bronze 100m swimming certificate when I was at school, LOL

I got 10 O levels - don't know if they are even still a thing in the UK anymore?

• TTATT_Paladin
    TTATT_Paladin

Before TTATT was known:

Bachelor of Liberal Arts (Computer Science major, Math minor)

After TTATT was known:

Graduate-level Certificate in Management of Technology and Innovation

MBA (double concentrations in Entrepreneurship and Finance)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit