Consequences of speaking out

by Nickolas 42 Replies latest jw friends

• tiki
    tiki

seriously, it depends on the level of open-mindedness of the people you are dealing with. there are those that are very close-minded and the sort that would try to alienate your wife/family from you...then there are those who would take a more balanced approach. you have every right to your opinions and to express them as freely as you like, wherever and whenever. especially in the confines of your own home; if you have witnesses to dinner or social gatherings, they are your guests and must respect your home and your hospitality in having them over. that includes being willing to listen to diverse viewpoints.

who knows....you might be able to educate someone. i say go for it.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

if you have witnesses to dinner or social gatherings, they are your guests and must respect your home and your hospitality in having them over. that includes being willing to listen to diverse viewpoints.

I have always thought that if I started a conversation about, say, how evolution through natural selection presents a much better explanation for life on earth, and then prevailed at least logically in the argument, that I might become someone to be avoided by adherents of the WTBTS, maybe even labelled a spritual danger to my wife. Then the fun would start. It would be great if I could actually get into an intellegent, unemotional conversation about the scientific accuracy of carbon dating and the theory of atomic decay, the ever-expanding genome evidence for evolution, Adam and Eve, Noah's Ark, Sodom & Gomorrah, the destruction of Jerusalem in 607 BCE, the 1919 appointment of the WTBTS as god's organisation, Russel and Rutherford's histories and a hundred other subjects that I have thought are taboo for Jehovah's Witnesses to dissect, even amongst themselves. Having been closely associated with Jehovah's Witnesses for over three decades I have come to believe they are exceptionally stong minded, willful, unified and right. I don't know if I'm right, here, but being candid and forthright with members of this organization is certainly one of my larger concerns.

• lisaBObeesa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit