Why wasn't there anyone as nice as you guys in my KH?

by Little Imp 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

When I first started attending the KH I was newly married and had moved to a new area over an hour away from my nearest family and friends. I was excited about going (believing it would be similar to churches I had attended in the past) and thought it would be a good way to make new friends.

How wrong was I, no-one seemed to have any personality or sense of humour.

I tried inviting people round for a meal, boy that was an uphill struggle and I lived to regret it.

Now, though I haven't met any of you, I feel as I though I know you and would feel totally comfortable in your company and would have got on like a house on fire if we had had a meal together. The strange thing is all of you have or still do attend a KH and are sooooooooooo different.

Discuss.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Most of us here got rid of the judgmental attitude, if, indeed, we ever had one.

Syl

• cantleave
    cantleave

When we stopped going to the KH, they gave us our brains and hearts back

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

Thanks Syl and Cantleave.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

The KH I grew up in was full of a bunch of stuffed shirts ! It could have been because my Mom was married to an unbeliever ,but we never were invited to others homes or out to do much . So there were no close bonds with anyone in that hall .

When I got married at 18 I moved away to my husbands hall . What a huge difference ! Lots of other young couples plus both his parents were witnesses . We had people over all the time and were invited out to do lots of things . I felt I had real friends for the first time as a witness . However the judgemental attitudes could prevail . There was tons of pressure to do and say what others expected you to do .

Especially after we started having children I noticed the pressure to conform or else be excluded ,cliques formed as people obtained positions in the hall . One example I'll never forget is when my brother in law became an Elder . We use to have lots of fun getting together for dinners and cards ,but after their first child was born he came over and asked if I would pioneer with his wife . I also had just had a baby and i told him "NO" I did not want to drag my newborn door to door in the cold winter air . That was it for them I did not have the pioneer spirit so then I was not good association for them anymore ! And the cliques began.......

When we left after 30 yrs in the same hall ......I can not think of one true companion in a group of over 100 . Lots of associates ,but not one true friend that would come to my home and ask " What happened ??? Why did you leave ?"

I think it is correct to say I feel like I have my real personality back along with my heart and soul (maybe a few brain cells survived too !) . My friends now are comfortable to be around open ,and honest, and not afraid to offend or step on anyones toes .

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

When we were a 'strong' family in the 'truth' ...I made a point of being hospitable every other weekend...I used to invite the bros and sis not in the middle of the 'cliques' tho...like OAPs and single parents etc....we had some really good times....

Sadly, when we were no longer a 'strong' family and then I went through a divorce noone invited us anywhere....

I'm glad I was who I was though...and I'm still the same in the 'world'....

Loz x

• snowbird
    snowbird

What are OAP's?

Syl

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

We were there. We just were victims just like you.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Lol @ Syl...they're Old Age Pensioners in UK ! ...We once had just a bunch of them over and got them playing Trivial Pursuit and they quarreled over the answers and a great big row ensued...hilarious...such timid old dears in the KH lol

Loz x

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

We got better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit