Essay: Beyond God and atheism: Why I am a 'possibilian'

by BurnTheShips 28 Replies latest social current

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

leavingwt

I was surprised a few days back, when nic indicated he believed the bible equated faith with certainty. I disagreed with him and it got me thinking about the issue, so I asked most of my Christian friends about it. They were all over the road on the issue. Some agreed with nic, many if not most agreed with me. What struck me was WHO agreed and WHO didn't. There seemed no way to predict which way the person would go.

• Mary
    Mary

Excellent article Burns.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Deputy Dog: My Christian friends would probably go 50/50 on that question, as well. As you say, it's unpredictable.

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

I am Christian, but not a young earth creationist proponant and I did not find the article offensive at all. I actually quite enjoyed it as I am also always open to hear about other "possibilities". Thanks for sharing. Peace, lilly

• BurnTheShips
  • Dagney
    Dagney

Enjoyed the article BTS.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I enjoyed this response to the author of the article. . .

He sounds like Johnny Cochran…

It’s possible that someone other than OJ Simpson killed his ex-wife and Ron Goldman, planted OJ’s blood at the scene, planted the bloody gloves at his own estate, secretly cut OJ’s finger without his knowledge…

Sure.

It wuz aliens!!! I SEEN ‘em!

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I like the essay very much. It's thoroughly sensible and reasonable, summed up by his comment "So it seems we know too little to commit to strict atheism, and too much to commit to any religion." It's just agnosticism with a trendy new twist really.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Have to agree - this is surely just agnosticism which is nothing new.

Which is fine by me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit