can anyone tell me if these words are in the bible?

by bigmac 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bigmac
    bigmac

can anyone help with an answer to this question:

re psalm 83:18--who was this actually addressed to?

thanks

• Mary
    Mary

Where in the bible does it mention " the kingdom hall" Nowhere

or the actual phrase " jehovah's witness" Nowhere

how about "theocratic minstry school" Nowhere.

Also, there following catch-words and phrases are found nowhere in the bible:

• the last days of this wicked System of things
    • the generation of 1914
    • independent thinking
    • door to door ministry
    • field service report
    • average hours
    • paradise earth
    • masturbation
    • blood transfusions
    • disfellowship
    • Governing Body

Hope this helps!

• Mary
    Mary
    83:18--who was this actually addressed to?

I think Leolaia could probably best answer this, but I'll give it a stab.

You have to read around the verses, not just verse 18 in order to get a better idea of what it's talking about. It would appear that Psalms chapter 83 is talking about the various nations that were always at odds with Israel, including the Phillistines, the Assyrians and the Edomites. As in much of the OT, it was assumed that YHVH would back the Israelites during war time and there was the appeal for God to make sure the other side lost the war and were publically shamed for daring to fight against the Chosen Ones. Verse 18 was simply emphasizing that point along with the hope that their enemies would realize they were fighting a losing battle, abandon their own gods, and come and worship the God of the Israelites.

• bigmac
    bigmac

thank you for your help with this, Mary, if i may quote you:

"You have to read around the verses, not just verse 18 in order to get a better idea of what it's talking about."

i so agree with you about this. i used to get so mad at the WTS quoting bits to try to prove their points

i think i can recall that "jehovah smelled a restfull smoke "-- i'm surprised the WTS didn't tuck-up with a tobacco company to exploit this

i can just picture cigarette vending machines in KH entrances---holy smoke brand?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

so, kingdom hall not mentioned?---what about " church"

See http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=church&searchmode=none. It ultimately came from the Greek for 'Lord' and 'Lord's house.'

the phrase "jehovah's witness" not mentioned--how about "christian"

Acts 11:25,26.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

lol @ bigmac

Yes apparently, smoke was a pleasant thing back in the old testament. Evidently, Jehovah himself was not even aware that he would later provide new light on this subject.

• wiser
    wiser

My response to they don't go church....they go to the kingdom hall. Was an enquire of the orgin of the word kindom hall. It is not found in the scriptures but Church is. This is a repeat of my response/question. How does the JW organization explain Mathew 16:18. And I say to you: that you are Peter: and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Churches uses Luke 24:46-48 as our duty to be witnesses of Jesus and to proclaim his gospel worldwide.

• wiser
    wiser

AnnOMaly, Thank you for Acts11:25,26.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit