Why are alot of witnesses very interested in watching Sports but they are against playing organized sports?

by asilentone 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Room 215
    Room 215

It's the same reason why a kid can take music lessons but is discouraged from playing in a school orchestra......

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Good observation asilentone, one that I have always thought of growing up in the sports capital of the world! The same sports that we were told not be involved in as young ones were the same ones that all the JW's would rush home to watch and talk about at the meetings. My last Elders/MS meeting that I attended before I faded was about a letter from the Australian bethel advising that sports were not to be the focus of our conversations before & after meetings, particuarly AFL (Australian football) The p/o laughed as it was read out and said "fat chance!!" Cheers, Mattieu

• knows better
    knows better

cause its a CULT..

• designs
    designs

One of the best things we did for our kids in Junior High and High School was to let them play on the Sports teams.

We were not popular with the BOE and some in the Cong. but the kids had a great time and learned valuable lessons on team work and competition.

• wasblind
    wasblind

You Know,

JW's flip flop their whole lives through, I mean In the cong I attended, there was not one elder's family that didn't go to DisneyLand in Florida, also known as the MAGIC KINGDOM.

They forbid sport activities for children, because of the sinful things they promote, but they can enjoy watching them

You can take music lessons, but you cannot join a school band, I know there are more things to compare I just can't think of them right now

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I don't regret missing out on playing sports in school. Any temporary satisfaction I would have gotten by playing sports would pale in comparison to the joy I've experienced in spiritual pursuits. The time I spent on quick builds and auxilliary pioneering were priceless moments in my life. Not to mention the friends were better association for me than spending unneccesary time being unevenly yoked with unbelievers. I have fond memories of Christian gatherings when we played Bible Bingo and Bible Costume Parties. In the near future I look forward to playing with animals. To miss out on playing with animals in the future because I wasted my time with organized sports would be tragic indeed.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Oh, I should have added in my previous post that you should not eat Lucky Charms or see a Magician perform, but you can go to the Magic Kingdom( Disney)

• wasblind
    wasblind

You Alright Misery ?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Blondie ... lusting after women, desiring to play sports ... they are both sins right? The principle applies [or can be made to fit]. Might be another one of those fallacies.

• undercover
    undercover
    Why are alot of witnesses very interested in watching Sports but they are against playing organized sports?

It's not the rank and file that are against organized sports...it's the leadership that basically forbids. Brothers are always getting together to play pick up basketball/softball/football games. And they get quite physical and competitive about it. But because the majority never got to share in any kind of organized sport they live vicariously through their sports stars.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit