Why are alot of witnesses very interested in watching Sports but they are against playing organized sports?

by asilentone 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• asilentone
  • ziddina
    ziddina

'Cause they're supposed to be too busy going out in service - and getting their exercise that way - to 'play' sports...

Don'tchaknow, after "Armageddon" everyone will be magically transformed into physically fit non-athletes... And without exercise!!

That's the "REAL" 'miracle'....

Besides, the Watchtower Org. would like to see JWs too busy to even THINK about sports, let alone look at them....

Oh, by the way...

Enough paragraphs for ya????

Zid she devil smiley

• pirata
    pirata

Why are people interested in watching Murders but they are against murdering others?

• wasblind
    wasblind

I know of a Brother who would not let his son play football in highschool

But got season tickets to the Carolina panthers. No joke. For the life

of me I can't understand it, I often wondered how he explained that

to his son.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They will not play sports because time spent practicing and playing should be wasted in field circus instead. And, it could cause people to miss boasting sessions.

However, some will watch the sports because they need the entertainment. Which the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger does not like, since people often rush home after a boasting session to watch football when they should be out in field circus.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

They aren;t supposed to be competitive with others

But it is OK to watch competitive sports - they aren't the ones being competitive

They can rationalize anything if there is something in it for them

• blondie
    blondie

*** w04 5/1 p. 12 par. 17 Be Courageous Like Jeremiah ***If Paul were alive on earth today, what do you think he would say to a Christian who watched immoral or violent movies or violent sports?

*** w84 10/1 p. 18 par. 16 Remain “Without Spot From the World” ***Obviously, we cannot cite every way in which Jehovah’s Witnesses demonstrate that they are remaining “without spot from the world.” Surely, however, overindulging in alcoholic beverages, reveling in highly competitive or violent sports activities, spending hours watching movies or television programs that feature gangsters, murderers, and other immoral characters, reading sex-drenched books and playing violent video games are not ways to stay unspotted by this world. (1 Corinthians 6:9, 10; 15:33; Galatians 5:19-26; 1 Peter 4:3)

*** km 4/89 p. 3 par. 6 Give Close Attention to Personal Organization ***Engaging in sports activities, attending sports events, or watching them on TV can swallow up precious time. Husbands, wives, and children do well to see that they are not robbed of time they could use to study and associate together. All of us must be careful not to complicate our life with excesses in sports or recreation.

*** w09 7/1 pp. 25-26 The Bible Changes Lives ***For example, I learned from Psalm 11:5 that Jehovah hates violence. So I stopped watching TV programs that glorified violence and hatred. And with great difficulty, I gave up violent sports. The principle at 1 Corinthians 15:33 helped me to see that those I chose to associate with would have a big effect on me. The fact that I had ended up in prison was proof of that principle. So I decided to stop associating with those whose lives revolved around violent sports.

*** w07 7/15 p. 12 “Wisdom Is for a Protection” ***Can violence exercise its seductive power over true worshippers? Many individuals today have been seduced into ‘scheming up intrigues.’ They promote or perpetrate acts of violence. We may not find it difficult to stay clear of such direct participation in violence. But what about being lured into it by subtle means? Have not millions of people been enticed into enjoying entertainment or sports that glorify violence? The Scriptural warning is clear: “He that is walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly.” (Proverbs 13:20) What protection godly wisdom affords!

*** g92 2/8 p. 13 Should We Go to the Pep Rally? ***nor would it be appropriate for a Christian youth to urge a crowd to chant slogans or to sing songs that glorify violence or idolize teams and sports heroes.

*** g90 5/8 p. 18 Prayer in Sports—Does God Listen? ***Throughout the world, virtually every sport is marred with violence—on the field and in the stands. One former professional football player in the United States wrote: “It is arguable that body shattering is the very point of football, as killing and maiming are of war.” He comments further: “Competitive, organized injuring is integral to our way of life, and football is one of the more intelligible mirrors . . . showing us how exciting and rewarding it is to Smash Thy Neighbor.”

*** g89 11/8 p. 3 What Is Happening in the Sports World? ***However, episodes of violence caused by participants and spectators are not restricted to just one sport, such as soccer, but they erupt in all types of sports—baseball, boxing, hockey.

*** Jehovah's Day jd chap. 9 p. 121 par. 19 Dealing With Others as God Desires ***Though Habakkuk was forced to keep looking upon mere trouble and the “violence in front of” him, it grieved him. You might now ask, ‘Would he be comfortable sitting with me and looking at the programs I regularly watch on television?’ Ask also, ‘Would he set aside time to be a spectator at so-called sports events that are violent by design, players even wearing protective armor like that of ancient gladiators?’ With certain games, the thrill for many springs from fights on the court or the field or those between crazed fans. In some cultures, many watch violent films and videos centered on warfare or the martial arts. This may be excused as history or a display of the nation’s cultural past, but does that make the violence more acceptable?—Proverbs 4:17.

-----------------------

The above shows how those who think refraining from active participation but watching sports is any different in writing. But those in charge are very good at twisting it to cover over their own actions.

• simon17
    simon17

the main thing about PLAYING sports is allllll that time with worldly people. If you organized a JW league, no one would bother you ( at least to the extent that they don't bother you about watching sports)

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Isn't there a scripture about that ... something on the line of ... if you look at a sporting event so as to form a longing for it, you have committed the spirit of competition and bad association in your heart ... I could be wrong

• blondie
    blondie

I think you have combined a scripture that says nothing about sports with a WT statement. I looked through the CD and found nothing even close to the above.

You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery;' but I say to you, that everyone who looks on a woman to lust for her has committed adultery with her already in his heart" (Matt. 5:27-28).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit