The Dawkins Delusion

by brotherdan 181 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Faith should be basd one reason of some sort, at least I think so.

Given the fact that "God" did exist, how could it have existed at all just by itself, and why?

Some scientsist theorize that some things just "are", that the possible singularity that started the big bang just was because we can't apply the notions of existence that we have from the CURRENT univers to what was there BEFORE it got started.

Augustine theorize the samething in regards to God, He just was always there and outside what OUR known univers views as time and existence.

You can apply the laws of nature to something that was before those very laws came to be, to which those laws to not apply.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

LeavingWT makes good points. You can't prove it, one way or another, in a scientific, empirical way.

I'd have some fun pointing out flaws in his response though. (maybe I will do it in a little)

He chooses to be agnostic and is fine with it. I am fine with it too.

I just feel that there is a God that made everything. I feel God deep in my being. I can't shake that powerful, powerful feeling, and I cannot ignore the experiences I have in my life had where I feel I have glimpsed something of Him.

That's why I believe. What can I say? LeavingWT cannot transfer his experiences to me, nor I to him.

Peace and respect for all.

BTS

• Farkel
    Farkel

leavingwt,

:Like you, however, I'm content with a whopping "I Don't Know and Will Die Not Knowing", I just don't have any motivation to assign any possible answer to the mystery, such as a God of the Gaps.

Me, too.

PSacramento,

:You can apply the laws of nature to something that was before those very laws came to be, to which those laws to not apply.

Did you mean "can" or "can't?" I don't believe you can.

burn,

:I just feel that there is a God that made everything. I feel God deep in my being. I can't shake that powerful, powerful feeling, and I cannot ignore the experiences I have in my life had where I feel I have glimpsed something of Him.

Me, too. The way I look at it is: "it can't hurt!" (As long as it is done in moderation!)

Farkel

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I meant can't, yes, sorry for the typo.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Farkel

Good post

Would you agree then, even in science some things have to be accepted with "faith"?

• cofty
    cofty
    The great mysteries surrounding the "theory of everything" will not be discovered by humans.

Perhaps not in our lifetime.

The history of science is a story of mysteries, beloved of people of faith, being revelaed by the genius and hard work of humans. Its what Dawkins called "unweaving the rainbow"

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    LWT: I'm content with a whopping "I Don't Know and Will Die Not Knowing", I just don't have any motivation to assign any possible answer to the mystery

for that statement.

IMO, it all comes down to people trying to pin an ABSOLUTE answer on an unexplained event.

The superstitious and/or religious will quickly attribute the unexplained to a spirit being(s).

Science will search for the answers but if none bear evidence, the unexplained simply remains unexplained... until a theory passes through the scientific method meat grinder and comes out the other side intact.

The scientific method is well-established and documented. What consistent method of reasoning and testing is used by the vast majority of the religious community to show how they arrive at their conclusions (doctrine)?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

That is a whole new thread dude.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    BTS: I feel God deep in my being.

Careful, that's how Mary got pregnant.

• Farkel
    Farkel

deputy,

:Would you agree then, even in science some things have to be accepted with "faith"?

Yep. As a matter-of-fact, everything in science that I can think of has to be honestly acknowledged as not an absolute fact Absolute certainty can only be achieved with testing every possibility which exists. Possibilities are infinite. Such a thing is impossible for humans to accomplish.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit