LOOK at JUPITER!!!

by cameo-d 19 Replies latest jw friends

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I looked at the sky tonight and saw the brightest star ever and it appears in very close proxmity to the moon. Then, here's what I found:

Earthsky Tonight - Sep, 22, 2010

Harvest moon, Jupiter, September 2010 equinox

Tonight is Sep 23, 2010

Moon Phase Courtesy U.S. Naval Observatory http://earthsky.org/tonight

• compound complex
    compound complex

Just went outside. Only "star" in proximity to the full moon that is visible. It really shines and brilliantly so!

CC

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Last year I set up my digicam on a tripod with a zoom extension lens and aimed it at Jupiter. I was actually able to see and take pictures of the four Galilean moons, Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Castillo. And what was cool is that I could go to skyviewcafe.com and it would show the same positions of the moons as I could see in my pictures.

• new light
    new light

Thanks.

• scarredforlife
    scarredforlife

I saw it last night! Beautiful.

• St George of England
    St George of England

An interesting site I look at each day is astronomy picture of the day:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100918.html

George

• snowbird
    snowbird

I awakened at 3-ish this morning and looked at the full harvest moon shining brightly.

It was totally awesome!

Syl

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

You can almost make out a disc with Jupiter, even with the naked eye. That is extremely unusual--though Venus and Mars can sometimes be made out as a disc with the naked eye. A good pair of binoculars works even better. And, even in the city, you can see it quite clearly.

Now, mind you this is nowhere near as pretty as all the Christmas lights. But, it will have to do until and unless people actually take the time to set them up this year. As of lately, they seem to have been letting Jupiter do all the work--or Pluto, as the case may be.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

I've been watching Jupiter the last few nights. With my good 10x50 binoculars -- I could SEE all 4 moons! They glow like a silver thread intersecting the planet at about a 45 degree angle, left side down. The moons look like shiny, silver BB's.

This is the closest it has been since 1963, folks, so please go look at this astronomical delight. I know I won't have another chance to see it.

PS: Wanna be romantic? Show your honey - 5 Moons!

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

By the way...look along the same plane the our moon takes to set and you'll see another very bright 'star' every night, that's Venus. And, remember, planets don't twinkle -- only stars.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit