The Bedbugs are coming....

by Snoozy 29 Replies latest social current

• wasblind
    wasblind

Oh yea,

Judge brown held the defendant liable, and she had to pay a large sum of money to the plaintiff

the defendants daughter told the judge that her mom had problems with bed bugs previously

and that's how the plaintiff won. the plaintiff lost her job because of this, she was an in home care giver.

they could not risk her speading this to other homes

• wasblind
    wasblind

I love my judge shows, maybe if you look it up on you tube you might find it

it came on tv last week. I don't know if I can mention the name of the show

don't want to spam, but the judge is name Brown.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I looked for it on you tube but the one that's on there is not the one

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

No spray you can buy can kill them...... NO SPRAY!!! Trust me. It will work for 1 night then ..... we're back..

"Amateur" sprays (the ones you buy at Home Depot etc.) actually tend to spread them. The spray kills the ones it actually hits, but the others nearby are driven to other areas to get away from the spray.

And bedbugs tend to migrate anyway; they will crawl from one part of the house to another or travel with humans. Part of the reason is that they reproduce by a method called "traumatic insemination." Gross alert - stop reading this paragraph here if your stomach is weak. Male bedbugs have a swordlike penis. Females have a vagina, but the males rarely use it - rather they plunge their swordlike penises directly into the female's abdomen and deposit their seed there. The females who survive this procedure are impregnated, and, as you can imagine, don't want to hang around their baby daddies any more. Therefore, they go somewhere else. Like another room in your house.

There was a segment on one of my judge shows, where one sister sued another for bringing bed bugs to her home and the expert said it doesn't have anything to do with being dirty, clean people can transport them too.

Exactly. Cleanliness has nothing to do with it. Bedbugs are not like cockroaches, which thrive in unsanitary environnments. Bedbugs feed almost exclusively on human blood (the only exception would be if they feed on an animal in desperation when no humans are available) and they are hitchhikers. They can get into the folds of your clothing and travel with you wherever you go. Hotels get them when someone stays there who has an infestation at home, and then that infestation can transfer to the next guest if it isn't discovered and addressed. Treatment is expensive (in a hotel, professionals will typically get $400 or more per room), so sometimes very cheap motels are more of a risk, if the owners are not willing to spend the money to rectify the situation properly.

I wouldn't get freaked out about having 1 jump n you and you bring it home. You can see them. size of an small ant.

If you see one, there are likely others around. If you find one in your home, I'd suggest getting a professional treatment. Bedbugs can go a long time without a blood meal - a year or more. So if you find live or dead bugs, you need to assume that you have an infestation and treat accordingly. One pair of bedbugs can produce literally hundreds of offspring within 75-90 days, all of whom then start to reproducing as well.

Tried to turn the Heat up all the way to kill them in the heat registers.... I think they liked it.

To kill them with heat, you need to maintain a consistent temperature above 140 degrees for at least an hour. The company I work for is on the verge of unfurling a portable heat chamber that can be used in hotel rooms to decontaminate mattresses and furniture from bed bugs. I'm actually going to a training session for it next week. The problem that sometimes happens with conventional heat treatments is that the item (such as a mattress) achieves a surface temperature of 140 but does not heat consistently all the way through. Thus, the bugs that are nested inside do not die.

Chemical treatments, applied correctly, can also be effective, but very few non-professionals know how to use the chemicals effectively for bedbugs. Every possible crack and crevice in the affected room must be treated. Some people think that all they need to do is replace the affected mattress, but that's not true - the bugs get into everything in the area.

And I wonder if you can make someone pay the expense of getting rid of them if you get them from that person/place?

I'd imagine that it would be pretty hard to prove with any certainty where you got them. There would always be the possibility that the source was somewhere else, unless you could show that the person had deliberately infested your home.

Also I wonder how long it takes to find out you have a problem if you carry one home or someone brings one to you?

That can vary. You might spot a bug right away, or it might take several months, until there had been enough reproduction to result in a noticeable infestation. Look for live or dead bugs, shed skins, small black marks around the edges of mattresses or box springs (it almost looks like someone took a sharpie pen and made a bunch of dots with it), and blood spots on the sheets. You could also place glue boards around the legs of the bed and see if you catch any bugs (because bed bugs only crawl, they do not jump or fly - though they can crawl across the ceiling and drop). If you have a "hit," it's time to call in a pro.

• arimatthewdavies
  • Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

I just stumbled on this thread. I was just talking to an exterminator about training a bedbug detection dog.

• undercover
    undercover

A local university found them in several dorm rooms. They hired a professional who used the heat thing to kill them.

I try not to be paranoid about these things and would like to think part of it is media hype. There's no way to completely avoid the risk. But for those of us who have to travel some, it is a bit worrysome. Planes where your luggage comes in contact with other luggage...sleeping in hotel rooms...

I'm about ready to come up with a new 'coming home from traveling' strategy. Physical inspection of luggage before bringing it in. All clothes taken out and put in plastic bags before going inside to the laundry room. I hope washing clothes would take care of any hitchhiking bugs...

Of course, my luck, I'd go through all that to be safe and then end up getting hit at a movie theater...

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

undercover

The funny thing about bedbugs is as easy as they are to pickup by accident, they are very hard to keep in captivity. If I decide to train a dog to detect them I'll have to keep a fresh supply.

Any volunteers to help me feed them?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

These things give me the heebie jeebies.

BTS

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I try not to be paranoid about these things and would like to think part of it is media hype.

No, it's really not. I sell pest control services, and we deal with these things constantly. They really are spinning out of control. Industry predictions say they will be the #1 domestic pest within a few more years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit